Friday, April 13, 2012

Questions About How To Eat Healthy In College

Maria asks…

How do I eat healthy in college on a $100 food budget?

Like most college students I am always on the go and dont have alot of time to cook. Also like other students I dont have alot of cash. I was wondering what I could do to eat healthy and yet cheaply ($100/month) in college. And I live in the midwest so hopefully a $100 budget is more manageable than the coasts.
Please help me.

admin answers:

You MAY be eligible for food stamps (that could really be your saving grace). If not, you're going to have a very hard time managing to eat 3x/day on a little over $1 / meal.

Richard asks…

How to eat healthy in college?

Okay so I don't live on campus nor do I have any restrictions. I have my own apartment but I can only spend about $100/month on groceries. So I was wondering what I should get when I go food shopping once a month. Things that are healthy and will let me maintain my current weight. I don't like preparing food so anything that is easy to make would be great! Does anyone have any ideas?

admin answers:

Inexpensive & no prep work rarely equates to healthy. You can eat healthy & inexpensively if you cook though. I don't cook often but when I do it's usually 20-30# at one time. I love love love my rotisserie and make turkey & then a roast (so only one clean up) every few months. If I fire up the grill & throw some steaks on to cook, I'll finish off by throwing on 10-20# of chicken leg quarters. I will freeze these up and take out a little at a time.

Walmart (and most grocery stores) usually have 10# chicken leg quarters for $4 ($.40#) I make lots of soup (bone stock) or chicken pizza cacciatore, sugar free pasta sauce (alfredo sauce would probably work, for no tomatoes) pepperoni, mushrooms, mozzarella over steamed cabbage.

I usually get a 20# turkey for .68# - Turkey soup, turkey salad, turkey tetrazinni over cabbage.

I buy the cheapest pork $1# add it to green mexican sauce with fruit add greens & ground flax seed.

I buy lots of canned greens, collard, mustard, turnip - for high nutritional value and lots of fresh cabbage some frozen broccolli.

I usually buy store brand processed cheese (twice the cheese for half price) - Bacon ends & pieces in 4# package - ground flax seed (lots) - canned tuna & mackerel - Buy the huge Mayo (gallon or so) it's half the price of the quart jars - use it instead of buying salad dressing.

Ground flax seed (2-3 Tbsp) 1/4 cup of water, cinnamon, artificial sweetener, mix in a raw egg - let sit 10 min to absorb liquid, put some cream cheese in the middle and nuke for 1.5 min. For hot cereal or 2 min. For more of a muffin type thing. Great low carb, high fiber treat.

Chia seeds sound so expensive but 1# will make 10# food (when you can splurge some - Amazon.com has couple lbs. For $15 shipped to you.

I also order off Amazon - Lowrey's Pork Rinds 18 for $15 - they pop like popcorn and are portion controlled.

Faux tapioca - 2 cups of water, 5 scoops of low carb whey protein powder, stir together & add cup of chia seeds, after they have started to absorb the water, add in 2 cans of coconut milk & artificial sweetener if you like and mix it all in. Can be eaten after an hour but will be better tomorrow. Cream a pkg. Of cream cheese into a can of pumpkin and add to the faux tapioca for an even more nutritious pumpkin pie pudding.

Mary asks…

How can I eat more healthy in college?

I'm starting my second semester of college and i live on campus. I used to eat in the cafeteria but i'm always eating by myself and i don't like eating alone. But i really want to eat healthy but all i have in my room is a microwave. What can i do?

admin answers:

Go out to the store and buy fruits and veggies and healthy stuff. Like for breakfats have cereal and fruit. Lunch you can have a salad, any meat, fruit.etc and same for dinner.
And dont eat alot of carbs or sugar.

Sharon asks…

How do I eat healthy in college.?

Ok, in high school, I lost alot of Weight. I am now in college and am trying to figure it all out. I'm good on the week days, but on the weekends I usually don't go to sleep till 5 am and wake up at around 3 pm. I eat roughly 1500 to 1700 calories day but it's hard to do it on the weekends. I eat six small meals a day , but how do I reach my daily calorie needs while waking up so late ? Imma girl btw

admin answers:

You need to approximately maintain the same sleep schedule every night of the week.
Your 5:00 AM sleep idea is horrible, unless you intend to work a blue-collar graveyard shift the rest of your life. Here is some general advice on diet:

Check a BMI calculator to set your weight goal.

Http://www.aarp.org/health/healthyliving/bmi_calculator/?CMP=KNC-360I-GOOGLE-HEA&HBX_PK=bmi_calculator
Your BMI should be between 19 and 25.
Http://www.aarp.org/health/healthyliving/bmi_calculator/?CMP=KNC-360I-GOOGLE-HEA&HBX_PK=bmi_calculator

You should find exercise that fits into your daily routine, like walking to school, bicycling to the grocery store, and hiking through a local park. Try to perform these moderate exercise activities for at least an hour every day. Eat more fruits and vegetables, since these are both filling and filled with the nutrients that your body needs.

Let me give you a summary of my meals in a typical day:

Breakfast: A high-fiber cup of oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. A pint of coffee or green tea.

Alternatively, a high-protein scrambled egg with an Anaheim or Pasadilla pepper, a handful of mushrooms, and half-cup of cheese, with a topping of Greek or Italian spices. Two bananas.

Lunch: Snacking and a meal at work is one orange and two apples; ten-grain, flax-meal, psyllium home-made crackers with a quarter-cup of spreadable soft feta; a quarter-cup of cinnamon-sugar almonds; a pint of coffee; a quart of water.

Alternatively, a soup of clam chowder with a half-cup of added mixed seafood such as clams and octopus or split pea soup; dried figs and apricots to satisfy hunger between meals; a quarter-cup of cayenne-coated sunflower seeds; a quart of water.

Dinner: A half-head of lettuce with thousand island or blue cheese dressing. Two bananas with a glass of milk. Two cups of herbal tea.

Alternatively, a high-fiber, multi-grain and flax meal pasta with red sauce, adding mushrooms, peppers, bok choi, and a few black olives. Another meal is stir-fry vegetables in a ginger terriyaki or vegetable spring rolls with duck sauce. A cup of brown rice or wild rice, not a true rice, as a high-fiber side dish is very filling with green tea or herbal tea.

My daily exercise routine is 16 miles of biking, unless the weather is nasty. If the weather is bad, I run 4 miles a day with a backpack. On my days off work, I usually hike about 5 miles in winter due to snow on my paths and 10 miles in summer. Try to do at least an hour of moderate exercise per day, which can be a commute to pick-up groceries, get to work or school, or a hike in a park or neighborhood.

Look-up healthy eating and other topics related to your health at WebMD as well:

http://www.webmd.com/default.htm
http://www.webmd.com/diet/default.htm
The best colon cleaners: strawberries, bananas, oatmeal, apples, psyllium husk powder, and flax meal. If these do not work, try a cheap laxative like generic calcium polycarbophil or sennosides. If you still want to pay more for roughly the same effects, try "Acai Berry Cleanse" or Cellular Research Formula "Colon Clear" and "Total Body Purifier." Buy a juicer and pulp apples and other fruits. Make vegetarian stir fry and serve over rice. All of these are safe and effective purifiers.

Healthy Homemade Multi-Grain Crackers [Fenske Recipe]
1 c. Gluten Flour
1 c. Red Mills 8-Grain Flour
2 T. Flax Meal
2 T. Psyllium Husk Powdered
2 T. Olive Oil
1 T. Sugar
2 t. Salt
1 pkt. Yeast

After thoroughly stirring the dry ingredients, add 3/4 c. Of warm water and stiffen dough as needed with more flour.

Use Red Mills 10-Grain "Cereal" and coarse sea salt on the board and roll-out the dough into a thin layer and cut into pieces.

Spread olive oil on a baking pan or stone before 425° for 15 minutes.



Fish Wrap [Fenske Recipe]
2 T. Olive Oil
1 t. Italian or Greek spices
1 Tilapia fillet
1 Salmon fillet
2 t. Parmesan
4 T. Mozarella
4T. "Miracle Whip" or tartar sauce
1/2 t. Coarse sea salt
2 Slices of "Eating Right" turkey bacon

Mix ingredients in a bowl. Melt in microwave. Fill a multi-grain burrito wrap.

Additional chopped bok choi and lettuce can be added to the wrap.


Crab Cakes [Seafood contains Omega-3 unsaturated fat]

8oz. Crab Meat
½ tsp. Greek Seasoning
1 egg
2 T. Ginger terriyaki
1 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
½ tsp. Lemon juice
1 ½ tsp. Melted butter
¼ c. Breadcrumbs from multi-grain crackers


Preparation Instructions

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for crab meat. Gently fold in the crab meat, being careful not to break up the lumps. Shape into cakes. Pan fry or bake at 375°F degrees for 12-15 minutes or until evenly brown on each side and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.




Bad Fat Good Fat Food Fat List

If you're having trouble digesting some of the bad fat good fat food fat details, you're certainl

Mark asks…

How do I eat healthy as a college student on a budget?

I'm in college and therefore I don't have that much money, I'm trying to eat more healthy but I'm a tall guy so I don't get full easily. I need to start eating breakfast but I don't know what to get and also what's good to get for the rest of the day?

admin answers:

Beans and Rice!

I start every morning with one cup (dry) of a variety of beans (black, small red, great northern, baby lima, garbanzo, and pinto), and one half cup (dry) of enriched rice.

A twenty pound bag of rice costs between six and ten dollars, and beans are about a dollar a pound (if you don't buy them in bulk).

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment