Friday, April 13, 2012

Questions About How To Install Laminate Flooring

Chris asks…

How do you install laminate flooring under sliding closet doors?

We have closet doors that aren't on tracks, but just has a middle piece screwed to the ground to keep the doors in place. We plan on pulling up the carpet, which goes into the closet. So, I'm wondering what is the proper way to install the laminate flooring there? Should we stop the flooring just outside the closet door and leave the carpet in place inside the closet? Or are we supposed to screw the middle piece to the top of the laminate? Or what?

admin answers:

Do take up the carpet and the center guide, and run your flooring into the closet. I've always left the guide off when installing in a closet with no bottom track. I think the little plastic guide looks really tacky on my beautiful new floor, and I haven't had any problems leaving it off.

Stash the guide piece for now, and if you find that you need it, you can always put it in later (use a dab of construction adhesive (liquid nails) to adhere it to the flooring).

A tip in installing the flooring into the closet-- If the flooring runs parallel to the closet, try to plan the layout so you've got a joint somwhere in the width of the door opening. It's a b*tch to cut and fit it in if you end up with a plank that sits the width of the door opening. If your flooring is running perpindicular to the closet, I like to change direction at the closet so the planks in the closet and across the closet threshold run parallel to the closet. It takes some planning in the layout, but it looks super professional.

Another tip- It's a bit more work, but I always take up the baseboards before installing the flooring and run the flooring right to the edge of the drywall (the drywall *should* be raised up off the floor - if it's not, I trim it up 3/4" from the bare floor). This allows you to trim out the floor with just the baseboard, and looks like a true custom install. To my eye, putting a fat piece of quarter-round tacked to the baseboard looks tacky and screams DIY. Yes, it adds some time to the job. But once you see it done that way, you won't even consider doing the quarter-round solution.

Donna asks…

How to install Quarter Round when installing laminate flooring?

I'm installing laminate flooring in my room,
and I don't know how to install the Quarter round...

The problem is:
I don't want to ruin the floor when taking out the spacers..

Help!

admin answers:

Cut your piece(s) to length, miter ends if necessary
paint them (it's easier to do before you emplace them)
place it in
nail it with a finishing nail into the baseboard, NOT the flooring. Use a nailset when finishing the final few taps so you don't mar the paint.
Drive the nail in slightly past the wood
fill the hole with putty, let it dry, sand it down
touch it up with paint.

If you have to join two pieces to make a long one, cut each end at a 45 degree angle (opposing angles so one will overlap the other) just follow all steps and mask the seem with putty, sand it, then touch it up with paint.

John asks…

How do I install laminate flooring in a room with tiled walls?

I would like to install laminated flooring in my kitchen. Two of the wall are tiled. Is it possible to undercut these tiles or is there an easier method to do a neat installation?

admin answers:

DO NOT cut the tile.

You will crack, chip and split, and potentially ruin much of the tile work. Then you are stuck with a much larger issue.

The solution is simple.

Lay the laminate right up to the tile. Use quarter round molding (small). If you use wood, paint it to match the tile, floor, or simply paint it an accent color. The molding can be glued into place, thus relieving you of further issues and making the transition beautiful between floor and wall.

Tile may also be glued, or use mastic, to place. Then grout. This is, however, a much more expensive option. But, to prevent a potential disaster, it is worth it.

The other, simpler resolution, is to lay the tile right up to the tile and seal between floor and wall with a washable silicon.

Write to me if you have any questions.

Linda asks…

How much to charge for laminate flooring install (labor only)?

I installed laminate floors in my house, and an acquaintance of mine saw my work, and is willing to pay me to install it in his house. It's 300 sq ft, and I don't know what to charge him. He's kind of a friend, and I obviously won't charge professional rates, but what should I charge? $1/sq ft? or $1.50? Any suggestions?

admin answers:

Pro rates will go from 2.50/3.00$ a s/f. So your 1.50 would be just about right for an acquaintance. You may need to discuss extras that may come up that is charged extra for. Rip up and disposal, additional floor prep, removing and reinstalling base or shoe molding. Discuss all possibilities .
Any questions you can e mail me through my avatar. I ve attended several installation seminars as well as installed a couple 100,000 s/f GL

Sandra asks…

Can I install laminate flooring on uneven floor myself?

Just leased a commercial property, about 3100 sq ft, and the carpet looks horrible. We want to install laminate hardwood, but the labor charges are outrageous! We want to do it ourselves, but wondering if we can do so because there is one part of the property (very small section close to front door) that has a pretty uneven floor - about a couple inches off. How do we go about doing this? Do we need a filler or something? Thanks so much!

admin answers:

You need to level the surface with self-leveling concrete, see this link:

http://www.quikrete.com/pdfs/projects/preparingsurfacesforcarpetetc.pdf

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment