Thursday, April 12, 2012

Questions About How To Jump Start A Car With Cables

Jenny asks…

car alarm won't go off when trying to jump start it with jumper cables... no clicker.?

It's a 1997 Toyota Avalon. The battery died and now we're trying to jump start it, but each time we put the jumper cable onto the battery, the car's alarm goes off. We can't find the clicker, although we have the key. This is all I know by listening to the problem, not watching, but if anyone has a suggestion, please let me know how to get the alarm to stop. Thank you.

admin answers:

There is a button that is under the driver side that looks about like a pencil eraser, but black. Get someone to help you. Locate the button it may be near the fuse panel. When the person outside attaches the battery cables turn the switch on and push the button after the switch is on. This will disable the alarm for now. You will need to reset the alarm by pushing the button repeatedly until the light is solid red. With the key on. This will put it in valet mode.

David asks…

Car wont start and when I try to jump it with the cables?

the horn sounds. The engine doesnt even turn over. Is this the car alarm or something else? How can I disable the car alarm? Its a 2004 KIA Spectra LS.

admin answers:

Sounds like you may have tripped the theft deterrent device.....have a mechanic who knows about OBD to erase the code it threw and it should start right up....if not....then you could have a serious electrical problem on your hands....
Good luck

Daniel asks…

What Is Wrong Car Won't Start Even With Jump But Lights Come On and Radio Works!!!!!?

I was sitting in my car letting it run while waiting for a friend. The heat was on while I did this. After about an hour of sitting with the heat running I tried to start my car and it wouldn't start. I would turn the key and the lights inside the car would come on. When I open my door the headlights would come on too. They tried jumping my car (the cables looked old and they were confused about the negative and positive side) My car wouldn't even start with the jump. When I turn the key it's just a little spark or switch sound (not loud at all)but the lights come on. Could it be the battery ? The Alternator, or the Starter. How much does each cost to fix ?

admin answers:

Stop fooling around phyllis and replace the batt its done

James asks…

Will wire from within a 240V appliance power cable handle a quick jump start from a car to a 12V motorcycle?

I have had an alternator problem on my motorcycle for a while and have had to jump start it now and then. The bike has a 12V system with a gel battery. I decided to attach some insulated wire from the three that are found within 240V appliance cable and run them from the battery to under the back seat so I can charge the battery once a week without having to remove the bike’s panel. This works fine on a 6A or 12A, 12V trickle charge.
When I have jump started the bike (using normal jumper leads from a car that are too bulky to carry on a bike) in the past, the bike has started immediately without having to turn it over for more than a few seconds. Will this wire that I use for charging handle the high amps drawn for a few seconds and is there a way I can test how quickly this wire will heat up? I know the starter motor draws around 80 Amperes when starting the engine.
Thanks,
Andrew

admin answers:

No it will not handle the amp's, the wire will almost instanly heat up and start to melt. Your 240v wires probly handle 40 or 60 amps at the most. And wont be enough to get your bike to turn over

Sandra asks…

Why won't my car start after I jump it?

My car will not turn on, the lights wont come on nor will the horn honk its just dead. I got it jumped with jumper cables but it still would not start or have any sign of power. what's wrong with it? and how much will it cost to get it fixed? I have a 93 toyota corolla.

admin answers:

The battery in it may be shorted out,that will cause this to happen,any battery has to accept a charge when your trying to jump it off ,if it doesn't ,the car wont even try to start,you might try changing the battery in it,to see if that gives it any power,other wise you may be looking at an electrical repair on that one,good luck on it hope this helps,and don,t forget to change your air and fuel filters too

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment