Monday, February 13, 2012

Questions About How To Bake A Potato

Joseph asks…

How to bake a potato so it has a crispy skin?

I love baked potatos and when you get one at a restaurant they always have nice and crispy skin. But when I bake one at home the skin is not like that. Do you know how to get that nice restaurant style baked potato?

admin answers:

You need a nice floury potato like King Edwards. Wash, cut a cross in the top, rub with olive oil, salt. Do not wrap in foil as this steams the potato rather than baking it. When its cooked if you just gently squeeze the potato it will pop open ready for the filling.

James asks…

At what temperature and how long should I bake a potato in the oven?

I know this sounds like a stupid question- but I don't want to screw up. I want to bake a baked potato in foil in the oven. What temperature and how long should I bake it? Also, how would I go about rubbing seasonings on the bottom of the potato so it will stick? Thanks

admin answers:

Heat oven to 350 degrees and position racks in top and bottom thirds. Wash potato (or potatoes) thoroughly with a stiff brush and cold running water. Dry, then using a standard fork poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the spud so that moisture can escape during cooking. Place in a bowl and coat lightly with oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and place potato directly on rack in middle of oven. Place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any drippings.

Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but flesh beneath feels soft. Serve by creating a dotted line from end to end with your fork, then crack the spud open by squeezing the ends towards one another. It will pop right open. But watch out, there will be some steam.

NO FOIL

Thomas asks…

How long would you advise to bake a potato at 225 degrees?

I normally don't bake potatoes this way but I am cooking a brisket in the oven at 225 and wanted to throw the potatoes in there too. I do not want to take the brisket out and then cook the potatoes after (leaving the brisket setting for an hour) and I do not want to microwave the potatoes, the microwave will be in use for something else.

admin answers:

At 225 an average size raw potato will probably take over 2 hours possibly even 3 to bake, again depending on the size. If you have brisket in the oven they may even pick up that flavor which wont be much but maybe you would like that. Average size potatoes from raw to baked in the microwave are best left wet and wrapped in plastic, then will usually take 10 minutes per potato -if you put several in at once it may take 20-25 minutes in the microwave.

Daniel asks…

What is the best way to bake a potato in a Ronco Rotisserie oven ?

I tried chicken and it turned out great. I read that baked potatoes are fantastic with the Ronco Rotisserie but am unsure how to go about it. Also can I use this as a oven to bake things like cookies and things because it seems like a big toaster oven? Thanks.

admin answers:

You can pretty much bake anything you want. The only thing is that the cookies might turn out hard and really crunchy. They'll kind of turn out toasted. So it's really up to you.
If you have a regular oven, I would bother taking a chance with the Ronco.
It's just my opinion :)

Carol asks…

How to bake potato chips on a pan?

I have clices of the potato just they won't set on the rack I need to use a pan to hold them.
ok I put olive oil on the pan.

admin answers:

CCR you should have edited that to say DON'T use butter or margarine because it burns when heated high enough to make fries or chips or put under the broiler.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment