Thursday, February 2, 2012

Questions About How To Calculate Gpa High School Weighted

Sandra asks…

How do I calculate my high school GPA?

I know how to do it. But do I use my end of the year grades? Or each semester?
And do colleges even count weighted credits anymore? (University of Virginia in particular)
Thanks!

admin answers:

I actually visited the University of Virginia over Spring break and your last question came up!!
UVa said that some high schools are starting to not even calculate GPA or Class Rank anymore! And those that do calculate GPA have results that vary. Their scales are different. For example, you may think a normal GPA would range around the 0 to 4.0 scale and a weighted one might range from 0 to 5.0 or something. But some schools' GPAs are on crazy scales. The lady giving the seminar at UVa told us one school does an 11 point scale!!
She said that colleges, UVa in particular, like seeing GPAs and Class Ranks certainly, but they aren't the most important thing. The college can see your grades and not even need your GPA anyway.
UVa also does accept some Dual-Credit courses (a course taken in high school that can bump you up into a better class). You might want to check specifically with the admissions department to make sure which ones.

As for calculating your GPA, I believe it uses your end of year grades because those grades come from the average of your marking period. In my high school, we do get our GPAs updated at the end of the semester because that is when we finish the 4 courses we take that particular semester. If your school doesn't have Block scheduling and has regular 8 or 7 period days for the whole year without changing classes, then I'd expect they calculate at the very end of the year. I can't be sure though!

Hope I helped!

Paul asks…

How to calculate weighted gpa?

I'm not sure how my school does it, but I believe it's on a 6.0 scale. I'm class rank 68 of 440 and have a 5.2 weighted. I'm just wondering so I can see what my gpa would be in the future for high school. Anybody know of a 6.0 scale?

admin answers:

6.0 IS a weighted GPA. In the US, GPA is on a 4.0 scale. But you cannot just convert a weighted GPA to an unweighted GPA - that depends on how many classes you took, how many credits they were worth, how many of those were weighted, and by how much. And that depends on you and your school.

Linda asks…

how to calculate my high school GPA?

i don't even know what is underweighted and weighted GPA means

please help

these are the ones i need

admin answers:

A GPA is Grade Point Average. An A is 4.0 GPA, a B is a 3.0 GPA, a C is a 2.0 GPA, a D is a 1.0 GPA, and an F is a 0.0 GPA.

Were you to get an A in one class it is a 4.0 GPA, were you to get a B in three classes each B would be a 3.0 GPA, were you to get a C in two classes each C would be a 2.0 GPA. You add up the grades in each class and convert the letter grade to a GPA and divide the total number of the combined GPA's by the number of classes to arrive at a grade point average. Here is the example.

1 A = 1 x 4.0 = 4.0
3 B's = 3 x 3.0 = 9.0
2 C's = 2 x 2.0 = 4.0
+__________________
6 17.0 divided by 6 = 2.833 GPA which is above a C and just below a B.

Here is a web site that will help you understand this more clearly.

Http://www.ask.com/bar?q=High+School+GPA+Scales&page=1&qsrc=6&dm=all&ab=0&title=Homeschooling%3A+High+School+GPA&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.donnayoung.org%2Fforms%2Fhelp%2Fhighsc.htm&sg=BG8nxIpCarV4lEeoGcvfZAenI5Cs%2Bu8YZQ1gOqeUXwo%3D&tsp=1256705286646

Nancy asks…

How do you count your high school GPA?

How is your high school GPA calculated? Is it all four years together or do you have a separate GPA for each year? And what's considered a good GPA in your view?

I'm taking two weighted classes this year and I have a C in both(1st Quarter) but I have an A in my regular classes. I feel like this is going to mess up my GPA because now my transcript won't read only A's and B's but have two C's as well.

admin answers:

Everything depends on your school. At most schools, it is a cumulative GPA (all 4 years together). So if you get a C this year, it WILL carry over to next year. In my perspective, a "good" GPA is a 3.7 or higher, but I'm used to straight As (take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm a perfectionist). It really depends on what kind of a student you are :) You will also a weighted and a non-weighted GPA.

Weighted scale: A-5 B-4 C-3 D-2 F-1 add all grades and then divide by the # of numbers you are adding

Non-weighted scale: A-4 B-3 C-2 D-1 F-0 and take the average (same as weighted method)

It's okay that you got the two Cs in your weighted classes, but definitely try harder, because you don't want 8 Cs at the end of your high school career. Admissions counselors will NOT be impressed. Of course, it all depends on where you want to go... But it seems like you care, so just try harder, study more, and good luck!!

Charles asks…

Calculating High school GPA?

So I am in my senior year. My weighted gpa is a 2.94. I would like to predict what my gpa will be after this semester. So i have calculated the gpa i would get this semester, which would be a 4.086. So how would that affect my overall weighted gpa?

admin answers:

Sorry Sammy but this is all speculative nonsense.

The Admissions Committee will only consider your unweighted GPA. And there is no way you can "predict" what grades you are going to get for the remainder of this year.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment