Sunday, February 12, 2012

Questions About How To Install Laminate Flooring In Kitchen

Lisa asks…

How high a quality of underlay should I use for installing laminate flooring in the kitchen and living rooms?

I will also be installing it to the rear entrance to my house.

I want to do a good job, something we will be happy with, but ive heard 2 different stories on underlay, basically, go cheap, it wont matter, or go expensive, you'll be sorry if you dont.

admin answers:

You will need a decent subfloor. I work in home remodeling in buffalo ny and when ever a lam. Floor is going in we make sure the underlayment is 1/4 louan. When u install it use staples no more than 6" appart with a pneumatic stapler. Then go over all seams and holes with a floor leveler just like u would with drywall. The light layer of foam thats installed between the underlay and the flooring will make up for any further impurfections. Its not so much the grade of the underlay as so much as the way its installed

Susan asks…

I just installed a laminate floor in my kitchen,my dishwasher leaked and buckled a few pieces of flooring?

How do i replace these or do I have to rip up the whole floor?the damage is in the middle of the floor.

admin answers:

That's why they don't recommend laminate for kitchens or bathrooms.
Here are some videos to show you how th replace the damaged part.
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdoeas13oEI
http://www.floorexpert.com/Armstrong/fpoxpert.nsf/23b149bfeaa0022285256eba00710745/33141eb5922314d285256cde00748e9e?OpenDocument

Mary asks…

How do you install interlocking laminate flooring across tile and bare concrete?

The kitchen in our new home has tile and the breakfast nook attached to it has carpet. The carpet continues into the livingroom and dining room. ----- I will remove the carpet from the nook to reveal concrete but I'd rather not remove the tile b/c it would be so difficult. ----- How do I get the laminate to cover the tile and the concrete which will be almost an inch lower??? How will the laminate butt up against the carpet???

admin answers:

The only practical solution is a floor molding. A Pergo 4-in-1 reducer strip will make the needed transition. Sloping the floor down with cement will cause the joints of the laminate to open and peak, and is a bad idea.
The same Pergo 4-in-1 is used to finish to carpet. Install the carpet reducer following the enclosed instructions and then drop a tack strip beside it. Trim the carpet and tuck it between the tackless and the reducer.
Feel free to E-mail with any other installation questions.

Maria asks…

How do I clean my new laminate flooring?

We just purchased and installed a laminate hardwood floor in my kitchen and I am trying to find a good product to keep it clean. The instuctions said not to have any standing water/liquid on the floor. Does anyone know of a good product? One I can use with a damp mop that won't leave streaks.

admin answers:

Loc, is very good product, distributed by quixtar, it doesn't have wax in it. Anytime you mop dry your flours with a dry towel, if you want it to have a nice sine vinegar deluded with water works very nice. :) congrats on your new floors.

Nancy asks…

What would be better on a kitchen floor, wood laminate or wood-patterned linoleum?

My husband wants to install wood laminate flooring in our kitchen, but I think I'd be happier with wood-patterned linoleum instead. We live in a small Cape-Cod house in the midwest, and in the wintertime our kitchen floor takes a beating. Lots of mud and water gets tracked in our back door, and I'm afraid wood laminate would be ruined. Do you know anything about how wood laminate flooring would hold up?
Our house doesn't have a mudroom or entryway area. The kitchen door is the main door from outside that we use to go in and out every day. So, what would happen if this laminate flooring gets wet???

admin answers:

Laminate flooring is basically cheap wood with a picture of wood ontop and then it is laminated with plastic. Of course, there are all different quality grades of laminate but may I make another suggestion?

Since your floor takes a beating and you and your husband both seem to like the idea of wood on the floor, consider an even better solution: Ceramic tiles that look like wood and stand up to basically anything... Winter, snow, slush, mud, dog claws... It's ceramic tile. And I swear, you really have to touch it to know it's not wood. And ceramic is sooooo easy to keep clean... Here's a link or two so you can see what I mean:
http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/archives/2007/07/ceramic_tile_th.php
http://www.tileexport.com/product.asp?me=a2&smalltypeid=77
http://www.tileexport.com/product.asp?me=a2&smalltypeid=78

Oh... And you can even consider putting in radiant heat under the tile, which is fantastic!
Http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/space_heating_cooling/index.cfm/mytopic=12590

Whatever you and hubby decide, you should know that ceramic tile is way better than laminate, linoleum or wood as far as durabilty goes... Enjoy your new floor!

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment