Saturday, February 4, 2012

Questions About How To Cook Butternut Squash For Baby

Betty asks…

How can you tell if butternut squash has gone bad?

I got one to cook for my baby, but it's been over 3 weeks or more since I bought it. I was giving her other foods, and I wasn't supposed to give her more than one new food at a time.
I cut it open, and it doesn't smell bad or anything. It smells okay, and the color seems okay too. But I wanna make sure it's okay to use it.
Should I just throw it out? I would just to be safe, but where I live, it's really hard to find butternut squash this time of year.

admin answers:

Honestly I had a squash go bad without looking bad, but I don't think butternut is like that I think it gets squishy.

In any case cook it and then you eat some, if it tastes ok it is probably ok.

Michael asks…

What can I do with butternut squash?

I have bought a butternut squash to make a puree for my baby, as they are supposed to like it. I've never eaten or cooked with this veg before, and am going to have loads left over. What can I do with it? Can I roast it? How about the skin, do you eat that?

admin answers:

Cut it in half, put butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, and a dash of salt in the middle, and bake at 400 degrees until it's soft. Scoop out with a spoon, and don't eat the skin.

Ken asks…

What is the best way to cook baby food to save the most nutrients?

I have sliced up, yellow squash, zuchinni, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and carrots and banana and apple. Now what lol? How do I add chicken or other meats in, just cook shred and then add to finished ingredients? I want to preserve as many nutrients as possible. i have heard boil till almost soft then bake. bake with olive oil and salt and pepper. I do not know any recipes or how long to bake for and at what temp? How do you store it and how long is it good for? can i freeze it in my glass babyfood jars or the plastic ones that gerber makes? Any info would be very helpful. thanks

admin answers:

I am so happy that you are doing this! It's great, i did it with my baby, and she's 5 now, i cant cook and she survived!! Lol

ok so lets say mac - n - cheese. Cook it like normal, then pour it in a blender and mix! If it is too thick then add formula, milk, breast milk to it. Then pour into ice trays, set it in the freezer. After it freezez like 2 hrs, pop em out and put them in ziploc bags. I put like 3 cubes per bag. B/c that was a good portion for her. When your ready for em' heat and serve.

When your doing meat it is the same way. To save time, cook her meat right before you cook yours, so that way hers wont have all of the seasonings and sal and pepper in there. You can puree chicken, or steak, or beef in a food processor if the blender does not work. For the blender just cut it in chucks.

Meat is good for 3 months
vege, fruit is good for 6 months

dont forget about deserts..my daughter loved mommas homemade cherry apple pie!!!

E-mail me if you want more info, or for some of my recipies i made for her!!!

James asks…

How long can veggies stay in the freezer for?

so i'm making homemade baby food..but i don't know how long they can last in the freezer..nothing going to be added to them just the water to cook it in...i have carrots, green pees,, Yellow and green wax beans, butternut squash, pear shaped squash, white potatoes, sweet potato, and turnip
my health nurse told me to pick up these items...
also brocolli and colli flower

admin answers:

Given that you will not be adding any additional ingredients they should be good for a month to 2 maybe even three depending on how well they are packaged. But I wouldn't prepare more then you could use in a months time to keep them fresh for the baby. I would assume that you plan to puree them so if you can get your hands on other baby food jars wash them well and be sure not to fill them to the top when you freeze them. Also make sure to label them all and that the labels will stick.

Charles asks…

how do i cook butternut sqaush for a baby?

my baby is now eating solids and i would like to cook my own instead of jarred stuff. he likes this one jar with butternut squash. i dont have a clue how to cook it though! is it like when i do his potato? boiled it up and blend? also any easy recipes for baby food if anyone has any would be fab! thanks guys. x

admin answers:

I cook all sorts of squash, potatos (especially sweet), and pumpkins for my 8 month old. She loves it!

All I do is cut the squash/pumpkins in half from the stem down. Clean out the seeds, and place them cut side down in a cake pan. Pour in enough water to go a 1/2 an inch up the side of the squash and bake at 350 for approx 45 min or until you can easily stab with a fork. Let it cool and use a spoon to scrap out of the skin.

For the potatoes, I wrap them in foil and just throw them on the rack beside the cake pan while I'm cooking the squah.

Depending on how thick or thin you need for the age of your baby, you may need to add some water when you mash them. I just mash them with a fork now, but you need to blend them if your baby is younger or chokes easily.

Another thing I do, is I do a big batch at once. Once it is blended up I put it in an extra ice cube tray and freeze it. Once the cubes are frozen, I put them in a freezer bag and label it. Each cube is approx. 1 ounce.

Hope that helps.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment