Friday, February 3, 2012

Questions About How To Crochet A Hat

Michael asks…

How often do you put the extra stitch in when you crochet a hat?

I used to know how to crochet hats, but forgot since I stopped for awhile. Some one recently asked me to make a hat for them and they said they would pay me. All they want is a hat that will fit a large head and that is really simple. How do I make this. I always get confused on how often the extra stitch comes in to make the curve of the hat.

I use a 1/9-5.50mm hook, standard yarn, and I do tight stitches.

admin answers:

I increase every stitch in second row, every other stitch in third row, etc to where It seems to fit, then about 4 times every other or third rown on down. This makes a nice rounded top of the hat when you start with about 6 or 8 singles in first round. Pointed top you would have less stitches in the first round.

Paul asks…

how do i make a finished crochet hat smaller without pulling it apart?

I crochet an adult hat for a friend. the hat looks like a dog, with nose, ears, eyes, braids, basically the works. It turns out the hat is too big. is there a way to make it smaller without removing all the extras?

admin answers:

Depends a bit on how much too big it is. You could try adding a slightly smaller, ribbed brim. That would bring in the edges somewhat. You might be able to take elastic thread and thread it evenly through the stitches on the inside of the hat.

David asks…

How do I add braided strings (for tying under chin) to a crochet hat?

I made a crochet hat for my daughter which has small ear flaps at the bottom. She wants me to add braided strings at the ends of the ear flaps, but I'm not sure how to attach them to the hat. HELP!

admin answers:

Cut the yarn that you want as long as the braids and attach them like you would with tassels. Then start braiding.

Http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=OhSR_S48bNY

Laura asks…

Can I continue a new yarn in my crochet hat because I ran out of yarn?

Well I was learning how to make a crochet hat for my mom this Christmas and I sort of ran out of yarn half way. Is there a way to continues a new same color yarn?

admin answers:

Leave out a tail about 6 inches long on each side. Just attaach the new yarn in the last yarn over loop as if it were the bit you were working with. If this is a different color.

If it is exactly the same color lay the new yarn on the line and crochet over it for about 3 or 4 stitches then pick it up and use it in the next stitch as if you are using the same you were working with. Work over the tail of the yarn you dropped for 3 or 4 stitches.

Thread a yarn needle and run the tails back into the work so they are back in about 2 inches then clip off neatly. Do the weaving of these so they are not seen.

Jenny asks…

How would I alter this crochet hat pattern to make it bigger?

I want to crochet this hat

http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/109077.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

for my boyfriend for christmas. but the pattern says it'll fit a head up to 22 inches and his head is about 24 1/2 inches. How would I alter the pattern to make the hat bigger? Can i just use a bigger hook or do i have to add stitches and rows somewhere?

admin answers:

You could just use a bigger hook. However, the density of the stitches helps the hat keep its shape.

I would be more inclined to use whatever hook size would give me gauge (6 rounds = 4" [10 cm] diameter) and just add an additional increase round between Round 10 and Round 11 and work from there, then add two rows to the earflaps at the end. It would come out around 24". Check my math--here's what I calculated:

Round 11. [1 sc into each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc into next st, 1 sc into each of the next 7 sts] 6 times (66 sts).

Round 12. [1 sc into each of the next 20 sts, 2 sc into next st) 3 times (69 sts).

Round 13. [1 sc into each of the next 11 sts, 2 sc into next st, 1 sc into each of the next 11 sts] 3 times (72 sts).

Rounds 14-22. 1 sc into each st around (72 sts).

Row 23. Ch 1 (turning chain- does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each of the next 48 sts.

Row 24. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 24 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts (46 sts).

Row 25. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each st across (46 sts).

Row 26. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 22 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts (44 sts).

Row 27. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each st across (44 sts).

Row 28. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 20 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts (42 sts).

Row 29. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each st across (42 sts).

Row 30. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 18 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts (40 sts).

Row 31. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each st across (40 sts).

Row 32. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts, sc2tog, 1 sl st into each of the next 16 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts (38 sts).

Row 33. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each st across (38 sts).

Row 34. Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), TURN, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts, sc2tog, 1 sl st into each of the next 14 sts, sc2tog, 1 sc into each of the next 10 sts (34 sts).

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment