Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Questions About How To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies Fast

Sharon asks…

Please help! Need to get rid of fruit flies fast!?

I had a bottle of juice which leaked into the backseat of my car. I removed the juice and the backseat rug it spilled on, so I could clean the rug outside of the car (it is completely removed from the car and hanging - clean - on my balcony). It seems some of the juice must have spilled beneath the seat, because when I came down to my car yesterday there were 20 or so fruit flies buzzing around - so many! I am getting car upholstery shampoo today to scrub the carpet down, but I get the feeling that won't completely get rid of the bugs. I've read tips to get rid of fruit flies in the home, but how do I get them out of my car? I live in a rural area so I don't have Walmart or Kmart around me, I was going to order some bug repellent, but ordering online I am afraid it won't come in time. I need my car back tomorrow! Please help!
Thanks for the answers so far, quick other question: Is all this enough to KEEP them away, or do I need to do follow up to stop them from coming back?

admin answers:

The flies need a dose of a smell they can't stand. I suggest leaving a bottle of strong bleach opened in the back of the car. The smell will send them off like you won't believe.

Maria asks…

How do I get rid of fruit flies really fast?

ugh i have been infested by fruit flies i HATE them, there are tons and i dont know what to do im getting so overwhelmed right now please help me!!
the house is clean and i threw out the piece of food that attracted them like 2 days ago BUT THEYRE STILL HERE!

admin answers:

Fruit flies have a rapid life cycle so once you eliminate the food source they'll die out quickly. Clean everything you can find and if you suspect a food that is out of having fruit flies in or on it don't put it in the fridge as you'll then have to deal with them in there.

Make "fruit fly traps"... Empty water bottle or the like with a piece of fruit in the bottom, roll up a piece of paper like a funnel with a SMALL hole at one end. Put the paper point down int he bottle and tape it in place. Fruit flies go in and are to stupid to get out.

Clean all surfaces with disinfectant to ensure there is no eggs sitting anywhere. If you have a garberator CLEAN IT OUT! (This is where I use to get them coming from).

Helen asks…

How to get rid of fruit flies.?

I hate fruit flies and they seem to "sneak" into the house, especially during the fall season. Is there a way to easily get rid of them? They move way to fast when I try to smash them with a paper towel.

admin answers:

I get them every fall. I have bought something at Kmart that is supposed to kill them, it is something that stands up on a table, about 10" high. I think it works a bit. Also, in past years I have been able to find these sticky traps that have some sort of sticky paper in them. They probably sell them at Home Depot or Lowe's. I would try there and see what they sell. It is a bit impossible to chase the flies all around the house, trying to smack them all. I know, I keep trying it!

Ruth asks…

what's the best/fastest way to get rid of fruit flies for good?

i've heard vinegar attracts them and that you can make a funnel out of paper and put in a glass jar or whatever you want and they won't be able to fly back out. I've also tried defoggers that spray about an hour and then you have to air out the room and open windows. that was immediate success but they're back and we have NO fruit or anything old in our house anymore. Does anyone know how long they can live and what keeps them away for good. Someone from Home Depot told me they get into your house because fruit flies lay eggs on fruit. He also said they are usually on fruit that is not very good quality. Is this true??? We don't even buy overly ripe bananas anymore. WHAT CAN I DO??? They're driving me crazy flying all around the house and they multiply very very fast. Oh and I've seen some in our fridge just flying around. And they are GREATLY attracted to the ice and water exits of our fridge.

admin answers:

Fruit flies live for about 8 days. The eggs hatching keeps the cycle going. The water exits might be the source of the eggs. If they are hoovering over a drain, some bleach down the drain will kill the eggs. Maybe there is some moisture under the refrigerator. Fruit flies love refrigerators. They could be under the unit where something spilled or landed. They like the area where the fan blows. The insulation might be wet.

Charles asks…

Fruit flies infesting my room...?

yes, i'll admit...i do eat in my room. my family doesn't eat at the table and we've just had dinner in our rooms since i was a little kid, so it's a bad habit. i left out some food for a little *too* long and my room became infested with fruit flies. at first there were a few, and then a couple of days later there were maybe 20. i have cleaned my room and there is no more food lying around so i don't know how they are staying alive and multiplying :/

any tips or tricks to get rid of fruit flies and fast? and how long do they usually last without a food source? i heard you can take apple cider vinegar and some dish soap and leave it out in a bowl and they'll drown in it but does that really work? thanks

admin answers:

The vinegar and soap will work. Add a little water. It works on fruit flies and gnats.
An oz. Of a drink that has sugar in it in a bottle laying on its side will catch them. The sugar coats their wings and they can not fly.
When the traps kill them and if more are appearing in your room, they are laying eggs somewhere.
Maybe in the soil of a plant.
Maybe in a soda can.
Maybe something that got kicked under the bed.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment