Saturday, March 24, 2012

Questions About How To Bake A Sweet Potato In The Oven

Betty asks…

Whats the best way to cook sweet potatoes. boil/roast/bake and how.?

I have a fan oven, also never used sweet potatoes but they are ameant to be better for you so i am going to give them a try. what you reccomend boil/roast/bake or what else. also what way to you cook them and how long for, what do they go best with. Thanks in advance
do i cover with foil and how long i am making for 6
do i add all this after cooked. and do i mash them after.

admin answers:

This is so bad, but sooooooo good. I'm only make this once a year.

Boil your sweet potatoes until tender. Peel them and slice them lengthwise.

In a 9x13 baking pan, lay down a layer of the sliced potatoes. Then sprinkle on a generaous amount of dark brown sugar over the potatoes, then place small dabs of butter (I mean small, a pat of butter cut into 8 small pieces), over the brown sugar, maybe two dabs to each sliced potato. The drizzle lightly with Sweet Corn Syrup. Then another layer of potato, Brown Sugar, butter, corn syrup. Repeat the layers until all the potatos have been used.

Place the pan in a pre-heated 350° F oven for 45-60 minutes.

Mary asks…

I need a simple Sweet potato recipe with marshmallows baked on top.?

I love this on Turkey day. I've eaten it baked in the oven and need to know how to make it.

I use the sweet potatoes out of the can by the way.

admin answers:

I use the canned as well... Drain & pour the can in to a baking dish top with a sprinkle of brown sugar and a couple little pats of butter..bake covered for 20 minutes at 375* remove cover and pour the mini marshmallows on top.. Return to oven until the marshmallows have a nice Brown toasted color to them.

Linda asks…

Help with this sweet potato casserole recipe?

Fresh sweet potatoes
1 can of crushed or diced pineapples in juice
1 bag of mini marshmellows
brown sugar to sweeten

*****Add the sweet potatoes to the casserole dish. In a different bowl mix the pineapples and brown sugar until mixture is thick but not too thick. Add sweet potatoes and pineapple mix together. Add the mini marshmellows. Mix all. Be careful not to mash the sweet potatoes while mixing together. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.*****

Here are my questions about it since I have never made sweet potatoes:

1. Has anyone ever had sweet potato casserole with pineapple in it? If so, how was it?
2. Do I cut up the sweet potatoes in cubes, boil, then put in to bake? If not, how do I prepare the sweet potatoes to bake?

I chose this recipe because I wanted to make sweet potatoes this year and my boyfriend and our daughter really love pineapple so thought it might be a good one to try.

Thanks!

admin answers:

The recipe says "be careful not to mash the sweet potatoes while mixing together." That indicates that the sweet potatoes are actually already cooked. The best way to cook them is to roast them in the oven at about 350°F about 45 minutes to an hour. They are much easier to peel after they have been roasted; of course let them cool b/f peeling. Then you can cut them into chunks. Just guessing, I'd estimate that you'll need about 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, (if the recipe calls for a can of pineapple and I'd get the small size can.) Happy Thanksgiving.

David asks…

How do you make sweet potato fries?

And what is a good dipping sauce for them?

I would like to bake them in the oven...
Mmmm The butter and cinnamon way sounds really good!

admin answers:

Take a sweet potato, peel it and cut it into pieces. I like the long skinny "fry" shape, but wedges work, too. Toss in a little olive oil, some seasoning salt and black pepper. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the fry. They are done when they are soft.

I dip mine in ketchup, but here are some other suggestions:
BBQ sauce
Cajun mayo (Cajun seasoning and mayo)
Ranch dressing
cinnamon butter
apple butter


Hope this helps!

Donna asks…

Anybody know how long to bake sweet potatos?

This is the recipe I am using to make these for thanksgiving. I've watched the matching video for this recipe, but I can't find in either of these how long the potatos have to bake before you can start everything else. I'm sure it's probably obvious to some people, but I'm not that experienced in cooking, so I have no idea how long to put the potatos in the oven for.

Anybody know??


"......and vanilla extract; mix until smooth. Add in flour, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
Scoop out the inside of the sweet potatoes and transfer them to a medium bowl and mash. Once mashed, add potatoes into the flour mixture and blend with electric mixer.
Roll out the dough and with....."

Here is the site too.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/sweet-potato-tartlet-recipe/index.html
They are Sweet Potato Tarlets

admin answers:

I don't know what Sweet Potato Tarlets are, but I bake sweet potatoes all the time. Using a 350 oven, poke them like you do a baked potato so steam can release, but put them on a baking tray since moisture tends to leak out of them.

I bake an average size sweet potato for about 40 minutes and larger ones up to an hour. You can test to see if they're done by squeezing them with a hot pad. If they give easily, then they're done. If not, bake longer!

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment