Thursday, March 29, 2012

Questions About How To Eat Healthy On A Budget

John asks…

How do you eat healthy on a budget?

Me, my husband, and my 19 month old son have to eat on a budget of about $50 a week(on a month when no financial problems arise). What things should I buy to make sure we are eating as healthy as possible within our price range? We don't qualify for food stamps, and I really worry about our health. Also, my son doesn't like milk. What else can I give him for calcium? Does chocolate syrup make his milk unhealthy?

admin answers:

If you have a little bit of a back or front yard, you could try growing your own vegetables. Or get in with a group of people and start a community vegetable garden so that you can all share the vegetables and herbs. There would probably be some land that someone is willing to lend you to do this and its great for the kids too, they get a real kick out of it and will eagerly eat what they have helped grow. Good Luck.

Carol asks…

How can I eat healthy on a Budget?

I'm 17 and I weigh 315lbs. I've been eating healthy since February I just didn't put any exercise with it. Only Cleaning the house. Walking with my family around the park. I've lost about 15lbs so far. But, my parents are teaching me the value of a dollar because I'm always spending money on clothes and shoes left and right. And I need to controll my spending

Well, my parents are giving me $25-$50 every two weeks for food. They know I want to eat healthy/exercise to lose weight. How can I eat healthy and lose weight on a budget? Can anyone give me a sample menu? I eat a lot of Canned Tuna, Baked Chicken Breast, Sandwiches, Steamed Veggies and Fresh Fruit. Is that enough? Is that good enough? If I indoor walk for an hour a day starting tomorrow, will I lose any weight before Aug. 21st?

Thanks
Indoor Walking(and sometimes outdoor walking) is the only thing I can do at this point. Is it a good form of exercise?

admin answers:

I applaud you for taking on this challenge. Your parents are teaching you a good lesson, but it is hard to not buy the cheap Debbies vs the Weight Watchers when we all know they are always $2 or $3 more!

2-week shopping list- I shop at walmart super center too

Margarine .75
Skim milk $4
Eggs (12) $1.50
Low fat cream cheese $1.50
Wheat bagels (5) $1.00
LF Pretzels $1.00
Apple Juice $2.00
LF Dressing $2.50
LF Mayo $2.00
Wheat bread $2.00
Sandwich turkey $1.00
Frosted flakes $3.00
6 cans tuna in water $3.00
2 packs Chicken breasts $11.00, 4 in ea. Package
rice 2.00
ramen noodles-8 $1.00
Lettuce $1.25
Bananas $2.00
Apples $2.50
cucumber .50
bell pepper .50
3 tomatoes $2.00
Onion $1.00

This is the best I could do with $50. I got $47 used here. Just stay active. WALK. My friend weighed 270 and has lost 125 pounds by walking 4 miles every day, 1 mile to her kids' school and 1 mile back twice daily. Once she got into the habit, she got more energy back and was able to do more exercising. Go swimming, drink lots of water, get into some sports. Yes, you will lose weight. You won't lose all that you want to. Just be realistic. If you lose 3 pounds in one week, don't be upset that you still weigh 312 pounds. Take it one day at a time. You can lose all that you want to if you are dedicated.

George asks…

How can I eat healthy on a budget?

Half the reason I splurge is because it's just too expensive to eat healthy. Fatty foods are so cheap and I can eat for $5 a day easily. Eating healthy costs me almost triple that. Fat-free cheese is so much more expensive than regular, as are other reduced-fat foods. It's not fair. It's too expensive to be healthy!

admin answers:

Well, why not just not eat cheese at all?

This particular tip I'm about to give will ONLY work well if you're using the fruit for smoothies (or baking, but baked goods aren't healthy so I wouldn't recommend it). Fruit that is a little overripe/unnattractive is usually on sale. Buy that, dole it up into smoothie sized servings (in ziploc baggies) and toss them in the freezer. I also add vegetables (also easy to find on sale) to these smoothies too. All fruit and vegetables, cheap and easy!

Another cheap tip, things like yohgurt or cottage cheese (which you can replace real cheese with) is often on sale if you buy it 1-2 days before it's sell-by date. Activia gets marked down a dollar 4 days before it's sell by date (and there's only 4 in a package). Score! =)

Also, since fast food is cheap, Taco Bell now has the Fresco menu which is pretty good for you, delicious and cheap!

Make healthy dishes in bulk (vegetarian chili) and freeze them, then just heat them up when you're ready!

Daniel asks…

How can we eat healthy on a budget?

My husband and I have 4 children who live with us (ages 11-3) and he has 2 others (13 and 9). How can we afford to eat healthier and still maintain a low budget? Any recipes and ideas welcome.

admin answers:

Stick with whole foods. You have to cook but it can be done. Rice, dried beans, potatoes, pasta are usually cheap. I love love love my rotisserie and cook a turkey every month or two and make soup with the bones & chicken salad with some of the meat & freeze most. Cubed cooked turkey, eggs mixed in with a little broccoli and cheese cubes nuked for couple minutes is almost an instant meal.

I try not to buy anything over .50 a pound when I'm watching pennies. Most stores sell 10# of chicken leg quarters for $4-$5 (less than .50#) and well worth it for the bones alone. Do not waste the bones & fat, render the fat & use for cooking, chop up fat chunks left over after rendering and add to soups & sauces with some of the meat. Don't eat the meat alone, add it to sauces and soups to stretch it. You can use the bones 3-4x to make bone stock (add vinegar and simmer a couple of days) Do not include meat in the long simmering. I add my old bones to my new bones and store in freezer. Use the stock to make soups and add to everything for more nutrition. Buy cheapest per pound of rice, dried beans, bag potatoes, pasta, tomato paste, salt & 10# chicken leg quarters. (you could render chicken fat and use on potatoes instead of buying butter or margarine and use in cooking instead of buying oil) Usually (not always) you can get twice as much for very little more money. Consider quantity for $ versus cheapest unit price.

Eggs are sometimes cheap. Buy lots if they are less than $1 dozen (wash egg shells with vinegar and add to bone stock for more calcium) Store brand processed cheese is usually half cost of hard cheese (this may be a luxury item at this point). Buy the huge (gallon or more) plastic container of mayo, it may be a lot to invest at one time but it's half cost of smaller bottles. Use instead of buying salad dressing. You can make egg salad or chicken salad and stretch it with lots mayo (added calories) mix with thinly shredded cabbage & carrots for more body.

Fresh cabbage is about the cheapest most versatile veg. Carrots are usually cheap and nutritious also. Canned collard, turnip and mustard greens are all highly nutritious and fairly cheap & can be added to soups & sauces for added nutrition. Canned tomatoes, watch the per ounce prices, don't just grab. A little tomato paste will make a lot of tomato sauce or you could make catsup with it. Sometimes you can get huge gallons of pickles fairly cheap (couple bucks) Make sure you have apple cider vinegar on hand.

Sprouts are highly nutritious foods. You can NOT eat most beans raw, but you can cook them after they've sprouted. You CAN eat sprouted lentils raw. Beans & lentils are usually found cheap by the pound in most grocery stores.

You could also grow foods at home, in your yard or even just a planter.

Michael asks…

How to eat healthy on a budget?

I want to eat healthy food but i need healthy meal plans for breakfast lunch dinner and a snack can you please help any links will be greatly appreciated
can you also help me with another question http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ArkK84I5vUWc3L1kFnTEAZbsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100130084916AARqJyf THANKS!!

admin answers:

Be cheap, think before you spend...buy things that are on sale. Cook and eat at home more often.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment