Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Questions About How To Draw Manga Characters

Nancy asks…

illustrations on how to draw comic book & manga characters?

Anyone know where I can find illustrations that shows steps to draw characters like they are in comic books (Marvel and DC, etc.) and manga? I'd like to know how the artists draw their characters so I can sketch my own from scratch. Even video is fine.

admin answers:

Watch this guy http://www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley?blend=1&ob=4

I always wondered how to draw my own manga and after I found this artist Mark Crilley I knew how. He makes step by step videos on how to draw different styles of manga. He goes into detail on clothes, hair, bodies, faces etc. He also has his own published manga, Miki Falls which I'm not sure you've heard of.
Anyway, he's really good you should check him out :)
Good luck and I hope this helped!

Thomas asks…

how to draw manga characters looking up?

cant seem to find any reference at all, im trying to learn to draw manga (kind of death note style) but am having trouble with characters looking up or looking up at characters from a low angle.

anyone know of any tutorials which might help me out, thanks.
key word here is looking up, there are none on youtube, infact have only managed to find a single (proffessionsal) image of a character looking up on the web.

admin answers:

Pretty difficult to find, not gonna lie. But consider this: When drawing a 3/4 angle, most people put the centre line so that it starts from the top-centre of the circle and then curves down. If you started this line so it was at about a 2 o'clock position, and then curved it across to the opposite side you could then build the face looking upwards to the left side of the page. Kinda difficult to explain but I hope you can visualise what I mean.

The alternative is to just go to a profile view for that frame, then simply adjust the position of the chin to tilt the head back. :D

Charles asks…

is there a good tutorial on how to draw manga characters?

I have taken up drawing anime and have drawn my second main character for my manga.
it's not all that great, i did what i can. i want to keep drawing but i don't want to do eye to picture
every single time please help!

admin answers:

^I recommend this, as well. That guy's really good.

I used to draw anime style drawings back in the day, and I mostly learned by copying. I personally can't recommend any "how-to" books or anything like that because I never used any (but if you feel you do need something like that, I suggest you ask around and look for some).
I used to read the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics. The majority of the drawings were done in anime style, and I copied a lot from those. I also searched for random anime pictures online, and screenshots from shows, manga scans, and fan art.
Get some of your favorite pictures and manga and just copy for sometime. You'll see your own style will come through once you've gotten the hang of it.

That's really all I can say. Hope this helps. Good luck. :)

John asks…

How To Draw Manga Characters - Know Any Award-Worthy Books For Learning How To Draw Manga Characters?

admin answers:

If you want an iconic manga resource, then 'Learn How to Draw Manga' is without doubt the best you can get. Check out the sample chapters to know more about the content and style of character sketches.

A lot of my friends are manga artists (8-12 years experience) and see this as the bible for learning how to draw manga characters. With 1000 pages of full-blown 2D & 3D sketches, it's both complete and comprehensive to deserve that award. Give it a shot if you want a slice of the anime market or want to start your own comic strip.

Richard asks…

Did it took you a long time to learn how to draw manga characters?

admin answers:

I began drawing manga or anime characters I saw on tv before I studied the true human form. I became quite talented at making up the eyes and the bodies but by the time I got to highschool, my art teacher urged me to start back from the beginning and learn the human form first.

I started with da vinci's drawings of muscles and the anatomy, and realized how hard it was to draw a person accurately. I also found many errors with my previous drawings of people.

Learning how the body works and the muscular anatomy of a person is vital to any artist depicting a human. Whether cartoon or not, it gives you an advantage to making your people look and move like real people.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment