Friday, March 30, 2012

Questions About How To Divide Fractions On A Calculator

Betty asks…

How do you divide on the TI-Nspire calculator? Mine only calculates the lowest fractions?

For some reason, my TI-Nspire calculator only turns a division problem I put in into a reduced fraction. For example, if i put down 8/24, it comes out as 1/3!! Is there any way I can divide on the TI-Nspire calculator? Can you guys show me the steps in order to do it on the scratchpad?

NOTE: Mine is the generation with the Touch pad

admin answers:

To force a decimal result press ctrl + enter instead of just enter.

Paul asks…

how do you show a fraction on a calculator?

on the calculator how do you show a fraction, because i need to divide a fraction by a fraction.

admin answers:

When you divide a fraction by a fraction, you would multiple the fraction by the reciprocal of the second fraction. You don't need to "show the fraction" on the calculator. Decimals are the same thing. However, if you have a TI-83, once you have the decimal form you can press the "math" button and select fraction and it will convert it for you.

Lisa asks…

I need help on fractions and percentages.?

I'm not so good at multiplying and dividing fractions and a few of these questions on my homework sheet are a little confusing. I won't be cheating by doing this because it's a PRE test and we are allowed to use calculators. Help me find the answers!

2/21 divided by 1/3 =
1/5 x 3/20 =
6/25 divided by negative 3/5=
1/9 x 3/4 =
Negative 2/21 divided by negative 2/15 =
2 1/2 x 2/15 =

What is 7.5% as a fraction?
24 is 60% of what number?
14/16 as a percentage?

What is a tree diagram?
How do you find the surface area of a prism?
What is an upper and lower quartile?

If you answer this, I will love you. HELP!

admin answers:

2/21 divided by 1/3 = 2/7
1/5 x 3/20 = 4/3
6/25 divided by negative 3/5= - 2/5
1/9 x 3/4 = 1/12
Negative 2/21 divided by negative 2/15 = -5/7
2 1/2 x 2/15 = 5/2 * 2/15 = 1/3

Mandy asks…

How do I write a fraction on my TI-84 Graphing Calculator?

I am having trouble making fractions on my TI-84 Graphing Calculator.

I can do everything and anything, but I cant do fractions.
Does anyone know how to write a fraction with one?

I know you can enter like

4/5

= .8

then hit the "Math" button, and hit Fraction to turn it into a fraction, but I want to be able to just type in the fraction without having to divide then turn it into one.

Thanks.

admin answers:

You can't really keep it a fraction. TI-84's only give decimals unless you do the whole, MATH-FRACTION thing. TI-89's do fractions. If you have a long equation to solve that has a fraction within it, put the fraction in parenthesis. Even so, they'll give you the answer in decimals. Then, i guess you can make it into a fraction.

Good luck.

Michael asks…

How do you divide numbers where the answer you want has to be in fraction?

Explain how would you divide numbers and get the answer as a fraction WITHOUT THE USE OF CALCULATOR. I know how to divide on a paper but I don't know how I turn the answer into a fraction.

admin answers:

Hi:

Your question is a bit confusing. You could mean a couple of different things.

First, you could mean like divide 100 by 3. This would be 100/3.

Second, you could mean a whole number and fraction (mixed number). We will use 100 divided by 3 again.

If you take 100 divided by 3, you know that 3 goes into 10, 3 t

3|100

3 goes into 10 3 times, with 1 left over, we drop the other 0. 3 goes into 10 3 times again
33
3| 100
-9
______
10
-9
______
1

It repeats, but we have a whole number of 33 and 1 left over. Right?

We keep the whole number 33
We put the left over part, the 1 in the numerator
We put the 3, the divisor in the denominator
We are left with the following mixed number:

33 1/3

Hope this helps. B:)

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment