Friday, March 23, 2012

Questions About How To Cook Asparagus With Olive Oil

Donna asks…

how should i prepare this asparagus and snap peas for this pasta?

I am making some pasta with veggies for my lunches this week. I usually just cook up some pepper pieces in olive oil and add them to the pasta...but i bought some asparagus and sugar snap pea pods this time. How should i prepare them before I add them to the pasta?

Should I add them to the olive oil? Should I team the asparagus?

admin answers:

You can add them to the oil.

You could also steam them and add after.

Someone else suggested par boil, that would work too.

John asks…

How do you think I did on my new diet today--feedback greatly appreciated!?

This is what I've had:

-2 apples and 1 grapefruit blended with ice to make a smoothie
-90-calorie granola bar
-whole wheat wrap with turkey, pickles, and mustard
-about a cup of asparagus (cooked in vegetable oil because I was out of olive oil)
-2 meatballs made with beef and rice
-about 1/2 cup of black-eyed peas


What do you think? Can I lose weight eating meals similar to this everyday if I start working out and/or running about 30 minutes? I just had a baby and I DESPERATELY need to get this weight off.

Thanks!

admin answers:

You should go to livestrong.com and set up a profile (it's free). It'll let you log your food and will show you your calories, fat, sugar, etc...

About what you ate, just make sure you eat when you're hungry especially if you are exercising. I think you spaced everything out nicely if its the way you typed it, because it will keep your metabolism going

Ruth asks…

Calling all cooks! I need help with an asparagus dish I'm going to make?

Ok, so I am copying this dish I had somewhere but making a few changes. I know the ingredients I want to put in it, but I don't know how to actually go about cooking it.
So, the ingredients are:

Asparagus
Mushrooms
Almonds or Walnuts (what do you think?)
Gorgonzola Cheese
Red Onion
Olive Oil
Jane's Mixed Up Salt (Its a salt mixture w/ herbs and spices)
Pepper

The one I had was served cold, but I would like it to be a hot dish. I want the asparagus on the crispier side, and I plan to mix the gorgonzola in last as I do not want it to melt.
So how should I go about making this? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

admin answers:

Saute the onion and mushrooms in the olive oil. When they are almost done, add the Asparagus and cook to desired tenderness. Mix well with the salt & pepper and place in dish. Top with the crumbled cheese and sliced almonds. Serve immediately.

Maria asks…

===Is my list of foods DIET approved?===?

I know it's a weird question to ask, but even foods I thought were "healthy" have been getting flack for having fat/carbs that aren't obvious to that food, like veges having so many carbs, it's considered a starch, etc. My diet is moderate calorie, low fat, high protein, moderate carb. I'm not putting how MUCH at a time, but figure if it's protein, 4-6 oz, fruits/veges 1/2 - 3/4 cup, and carbs/grains- whatever the label says a serving is. I'm really just wanting to know that none of these foods have too much hidden bad stuff (fruit with tons of sugar, veggies with fat/sugar, etc)

Veges: Usually bought frozen or canned w/o added salt unless other noted
Asparagus
Carrots (bagged baby)
Peas
French cut Green Beans
Broccoli florets and stems
Cauliflower (fresh or frozen with broccoli)
Baby spinach (bagged)
Iceberg lettuce (head)
Tomatoes all sizes (fresh)
Cooked canned spinach

Carbs:
Brown rice
Wheat bread-Single slice sandwiches (not whole wheat, just brown sandwich bread- I'm not gonna switch, the shape is different!)
Potatoes (in moderation)
Reduced fat wheat crackers (Off brand Wheat Thins)
Pasta side dishes- Made with white pasta and cream sauce- Occasional for obvious reasons!

Protein:
Eggs (not organic- often just the whites, otherwise a yolk:white ratio of 1:3
Canned tuna in water
Bone/Skinless Chicken Breasts
Tilapia fillets
Shrimp
93/7 ground turkey
Low/No fat turkey breast (lunch meat- occasional-can't cook ALL the time, haha.)

Fruit: Bought fresh or in bags or frozen in packages (not canned)
Apples (usually Fuji)
Oranges (they're my crack!)- Sometimes canned mandarin oranges!
Bananas (usually small or 1/2 a medium)
Seedless red/purple grapes
Blueberries (not often- hella expensive!)
Strawberries (fresh/frozen for smoothies)
Peaches (frozen chunks for smoothies)
Mangoes (frozen chunks for smoothies)
Pineapple (frozen chunks for smooties)
Seedless watermelon (when in season or on sale)

Dairy:
Skim milk (it's GRAY o.O)
Nonfat yogurt
American Cheese
Lowfat Shredded cheese

Fat/Misc:
EV Olive oil
nonstick cooking spray
Salt Free seasonings
Margarine


I would love to hear suggestions to add to the list or what to drop from the list (or move to a different category!) If it matters almost EVERYTHING is off brand/great value... Thanks!

admin answers:

I'd say frozen spinach is better than canned spinach, since frozen is usually fresher.
Iceburg lettuce has no nutritional value.
Light tuna has less mercury in it than white tuna. Salmon is as good alternative.
Compared to other fruits, grapes don't have as many vitamins and antioxidents, and they cause acid reflux.
Cream sauce is high in fat, and white pasta has simpler carbs than whole wheat pasta.
Some wheat sandwich bread is as bad as white bread, but there's Oatmeal bread, rye, ezekiel, etc. If you don't like whole wheat.
There's a huge difference between Kraft cheese and the cheese you get sliced at the deli counter.

Ken asks…

Will I Lose Weight?

I'm 12 years old, female, and weigh 190. [yes I know Im big keep your rude comments to yourself]
My goal is 120.

If I do this every day, will i lose weight, how much time do you think it will take to lose 70 plus pounds, how much will I lose a week?




B: serving of weetabix cereal, 1/2 cup fat free milk. 1/4 cup fresh strawberries.
S: 1 vanilla dannon light+fit yogurt, 1/8 cup chopped walnuts.
L: 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1/2 chopped apple, 6 grapes [halved] 1 multi-grain wasa crisp.
D. 1 haddock fillet, 6 spears asparagus, both cooked with a little pam olive-oil spray [has NO nutritional value, a.i. no calories, fat, sugar, ect...] topped with juice of 1/2 lemon.
S. 1 florida naval orange, 1 tbsp all natural pb.

Drinking as much water as possible throughout the day.



Exercise:
1 brisk hour walk.
2 reps of 20 situps, modified pushups.
2 reps of 25 squats, and lunges with a 10 pound dumbells.
I will try to do as much running as I can throughout the day...

admin answers:

Yeah, you'll lose weight. Neat! I'm your age! Any way, I weigh about 120 pounds and my mom complains about my weight sometimes. Well, you can lose weight that way, just as long as you keep up with that program of yours. And yeah, I'm female too. Cool!

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment