Monday, March 19, 2012

Questions About How To End A Letter In French

Daniel asks…

How exactly should I start and end this French letter?

I am writing to a kid in France for school in French. This is my second year in this class and I haven't really learned how I should form the letter. Its a boy in his teens 13-16 I believe and his name is Rodolphe Tang Lim. This is a social letter meaning writing to talk and get to know one another. Variety of choices of what to say and defining everything so I can understand will give best answer. NO online translators. I am here to learn not to have things given to me.

admin answers:

Hi,

First of all to start your letter you can use

Cher Rodolphe,

Comment vas-tu ( how are you ? ) Je m'appelle ( your name ) j'ai ( your age, e.g. 16 ans ) ... Je suis en 4ème ( 9th grade...). J'ai un chien ( I have a dog ), je pratique la danse ...

Linda asks…

How to end a french introduction letter to a penpal?

We're getting penpals for our french class, and it's due tomorrow. The letter is entirely written up, I just don't know how to end it since the terms for that are different in french and I don't want it to be weird.
something like "I look forward to hearing back from you," or something.
Thank you!

admin answers:

Your letter is personal correspondence so you have several possibilities as an ending. Since you have not had any previous contact with the person, you would use "vous" not "tu" and "toi", until you both decide to "tutoyer" one another. Here are some common examples for endings. The first three mean "Best wishes":

Bien cordialement à vous
Bien amicalement à vous
Meilleures Amitiés
Bien des choses - 'All the best"

En esperant recevoir bientôt de vos nouvelles - "Looking forward to hearing from you"
Remerciements anticipés - "Thanks in anticipation"

Ruth asks…

How do you end a letter in french. The letter is to friends of mine (two parents, and two children my own age)

admin answers:

If it's for a friend you could say :

A la prochaine.

Donna asks…

How to end a formal letter in French?

admin answers:

The best is "Veuillez agréer, Madame, Monsieur, mes salutations distinguées."
We don't use "sincèrement" unless you know the person you're addressing the letter to personally.

Paul asks…

how do you say "P.S" (at the end of a letter) in French?

I'm writing a letter to my pen pal in France.

How can I add something at the end that I missed out?
Thanks!

admin answers:

Roy is right : it's a Latin abbreviation for 'post scriptum', and it's used in all countries with our roman alphabet.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment