Monday, March 26, 2012

Questions About How To Get Rid Of Fleas On Dogs

Steven asks…

I can not get rid of my dogs fleas he has had 2 treatments of advantix with no success he is a maltese?

I am stumped on how to get rid of his fleas he is an indoor dog and i also have an indoor cat who is also being treated he is itching so bad and i just want them to go away any suggestions?

admin answers:

A flea's life cycle is 21 days and every 21 days new ones hatch. If you are not killing the fleas in your carpets, furniture, bedding (yours and the dogs) and absolutely everywhere else, you will have trouble getting rid of them. It pays to spray your yard because your dog probably does go out for walks and to go to the bathroom and will pick up new ones. Call your vets office and ask for suggestions of what to use and if you should change medicine or just give it some more time. I know my vet's office is happy to give such advice for free on the phone. Good luck getting rid of those pesky little critters!

Sandy asks…

Is there any natural way to get rid of fleas on dogs?

First off, we've tried Frontline, and it does work, but if you have to wash up after using or face health risks, how is that good for the dog? Leave your big company, pesticide propaganda BS at the door. I want a NATURAL way to get rid of fleas, and proof to back it up.

I've heard that small amounts of garlic in their food daily help, and that Dawn dish soap does too.

admin answers:

Garlic is questioned now as a cause of anemia, similar to onions. They don't know how much garlic would cause it at this point, but it is being recommended that you avoid supplimenting garlic until that amount can be qualified.

I have been reading up on apple cidar vinegar as a flea repellent. I have a cat who has reactions to flea preventative and we are trying to find other ways to prevent.

Does your dog have fleas now? If he/she does, I would recommend giving the dog a dose of frontline, treating the house, and then begin using apple cidar vinegar or other natural remedy. That way, you're not fighting an infestation on top of it. If your dog doesn't have fleas, then start the natural remedies. However, it can take up to six weeks to start working.

Lizzie asks…

Ok I have tried EVERYTHING. How do I get rid of my dogs fleas?

We live on basically sand. They call our town the Island because it literally used to be one. Anyways. My dog has fleas. We have tried numerous shampoos, powdered the carpets, vacuum etc. But they keep coming back. My skin is sensitive so I get very irritated when the fleas bite me and I am pregnant and don't want to bring a newborn into a house with fleas. Is there something I'm missing here? Thanks!

admin answers:

Take your dog to a groomer for a professional flea dip and bath. In the meantime, consult your vet about preventative flea and tick medications, like Frontline and Advantix

Ken asks…

How do you get rid of dog fleas?

I gave them a bath to wash off all the fleas. 2 days later, I gave them Frontline Advantage - that was 1 week ago and the fleas went away after a couple days. Then came back. I was told to give them a bath with Dawn liquid soap. That helped for 2 days... and they are back again. They are mostly indoor dogs and only go outside for the bathroom. The fleas are so bad, the dogs are chewing on themselves and biting off their fur. The Frontline Advantage is suppose to work for 30 days... Can I give it to the dogs again even though it's only been a week and a half? Is there something out there that works better? HELP! I've never had this problem before.

admin answers:

I would think the bath in Dawn dish soap reduced the efficacy of the Advantage - if you read the small print in the instructions, I think it says that bathing with 'emollients' (dish soap) reduces the efficacy of the product. Also, dish soap only washes fleas off - once the animal is dry, the ones that have been waiting in your carpet just hop right back on! It is not a preventative treatment.

Since you have a bad flea problem, you need to treat your animal and your house, as fleas will be present in both (their lifecycle is to live both on the animal and in the environment, visiting the animal for blood meals - they also lay eggs in the environment). I would advise switching to Frontline, this is the top product. It will be safe to use already - Frontline, Advantage and Revolution are very hard to overdose on, unlike store-bought flea products.

Treat your dog regularly with Frontline spot-on - that is, once a month. Also spray your house with a product from your vets - you may need to spray twice, as the spray may not kill the flea eggs and pupae, so you'll have to wait for these to hatch before you can kill them with a second spraying, a couple of days later.

Once you have rid your animal and the environment from fleas, use of Frontline Plus every 6 weeks on your animal will keep both the animal and the environment flea-free by killing the eggs as well as the adult fleas.

Chalice

Mark asks…

How do I get rid of fleas on my dogs and in my house?

I have two chihuahuas and this is the first time either of them has had fleas. I just noticed them about a week or two ago. I haven't seen them around the house but you can never be too sure because the dogs go almost everywhere in the house. What is the most effective way to get my dogs flea free. What is the most recommended flea repellent and what can I do to get them out of my house if they are in here which they probably are?

admin answers:

I prefer natural flea tick and mosquito remedies.There is a natural alternative to the harsh and harmful chemical based flea and tick repellents. NATURAL FLEA, TICK AND MOSQUITO REMEDY FOR DOGS kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes for up to four weeks, yet it’s safe to use on your dog and around your family. It uses the natural power of essential oils which are well known for their highly effective defense mechanisms against potentially harmful insects. One bottle lasts you up to 9 months.
There is another great product called DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FOR FLEA AND TICK CONTROL ON PETS. Diatomaceous Earth for Flea and Tick Control is natural, nontoxic, totally organic and safe with no harm to the environment, pets or to people.
Diatomaceous Earth is an all-natural flea control remedy that works to dehydrate adult fleas. When applied to the animal's environment, as well as the animal itself, it is as effective as chemical alternatives. Diatomaceous Earth is the fossilized remains of a type of hard-shelled algae called diatoms. While Diatomaceous Earth is generally safe for humans and animals, it is lethal when it comes to insects. Its sharp edges cut into the waxy outer layer of fleas, ticks and other insects causing them to dehydrate and eventually die. DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FOR FLEA AND TICK CONTROL ON PETS is also very effective against any type of worms, lice, mites and other pests.
To read more about it you can go on the link below. It shows you some products and informations to it.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment