Saturday, March 24, 2012

Questions About How To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies

Michael asks…

How should I get rid of fruit flies?

I want to know how to get rid of the fruit flies in my house. I think they are coming in through the screens on the windows. We have to keep the windows open because the heat has switched on in our apartment and it is still warm outside. I really don't understand: there is no fruit or bread out to tempt them and the house is clean. Help!

admin answers:

I just used this remedy for the first time this year and it works, put 2oz of cider vinegar in a small juice glass with two drops of liquid dish washing soap and leave it set for a few days then look thru the bottom of the glass, you won't believe how many dead ones you will see in the bottom of the glass, I sat out several glasses of the mixture and I have no more fruit flies.

Susan asks…

how can i get rid of fruit flies in my compost bin?

I am fairly new to composting and i have a compost bin which i put garden waste and vegatable and fruit waste in, but every time i take the lid off i get swarmed by fruit flies. how can i get rid of them, the are driving me crazy? thanks a lot.

admin answers:

Agent Orange,purple,yellow......or the old standby .......D.D.T

Ruth asks…

How do I get rid of these damned fruit flies?

So it seems that since I brought my plants indoors for the winter months that I've had fruit flies (or what I think are fruit flies) in my apartment. They're hanging out mostly around the plants, usually in/on the dirt and the foliage. I know that you're supposed to remove the source for the flies to go away, but there's no way I'm getting rid of my plants. They're all very healthy and, besides, they're my babies.

I've tried following this: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Get-Rid-Of-Fruit-Flies-With-A-Homemade-Fruit-Fly-Trap&id=87041 but am not having luck.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Help!

admin answers:

What you are describing are probably not fruit flies, they are fungus gnats. They feed on decaying matter (such as compost) in the soil. There are insecticides that will get rid of them without hurting your plants -- pyrethrins work well. More info in this site:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2114.html

Donald asks…

How can I get rid of fruit flies in my hermit crab tank?

How can I get rid of fruit flies in my hermit crab tank?
D: k so i had fruit flies in my home a month ago from an old banana in a backpack, lol. so i clean the banana out and everything, then the flies started to slowly disappear. now today there was a bunch of fruit flies in my hermit crab tank, and i have no wet food in there ! only dry food. so I had to vacuum the flies.

admin answers:

Fruit flies survive on organic matter, such as uneaten food and feces.
They thrive in filthy conditions.
To minimize or eliminate the flies, you need to clean the cages on a regular basis.
Fly paper will also help.

Charles asks…

How do I get rid of fruit flies in my apartment?

I live with a really messy roommate and while I was away on a trip they didn't throw out the trash and all her fast food leftovers. Now my apartment is infested with what seems to be fruit flies. I've already thrown out the trash.. but they're not going away. Does anyone know an easy and somewhat inexpensive way or product on the market I can get to get rid of them? Thank you so much.

admin answers:

After you have thoroughly cleaned EVERYTHING including drain openings, under the sinks, etc., set out small dishes (like empty margarine tubs) with about 1/4" of cider vinegar and a few drops of dish liquid. The little beasties are attracted to the fruity vinegar but the soap is fatal to them.

Not toxic to anyone except the flies; very inexpensive, and effective.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment