Friday, March 23, 2012

Questions About How To Increase Metabolism Without Exercise

Chris asks…

How do I increase my metabolism and eat more without gaining weight?

Im 16 and i've been dieting for about 3 months now and i lost the weight that i wanted to. I've only been taking in about 1800 calories and ive been burning off about 900 through intense exercise each day. Im guessing that the dedicate in calories each day has slowed my metabolism and now I want to keep exercising the way i have been but start staying the same weight so how can I eat more and increase my metabolism without gaining weight.

admin answers:

If you're still exercising then hopefully you should be able to gradually increase your calories without starting to put on the weight, ie increase your metabolism. But make sure the calories come from protein and veggies/salads and not from carby foods like sugar, sugary drinks, cookies, potato snacks etc or the 'bad' fats such as transfats.

For more detail on why it's crucial to eat enough protein, and not to drastically reduce your calories long term if you want to keep your metabolism up, see my article at http://www.lowcarbiseasy.com/lose_weight_fast_crash_diet.htm.

Steven asks…

How to increase metabolism without decreasing appetite?

I eat normally. I exercise. I used to exercise an hour a night 4 nights out of the week. I still can not lose weight. I think it's my metabolism for that mere fact. So what is something I can do or take to help with minimal side effects?
I do eat healthy. I don't eat sugar at all. I eat lots of protein and vegetables. I only eat 2 small meals a day out of habit. Its not the intake that's the problem. I work so I walk, climb and lift most of the day. Plus exercise, crunches, pull ups, treadmill, etc.

admin answers:

Dieters often complain that they can’t lose weight because they have
a “slow metabolism.” Unfortunately, many companies capitalize on this
misconception by marketing products that promise to give consumers a
so called “metabolic advantage” that helps melt away the pounds.
They are useless. There are things you can't control about your
metabolism, and no product ever will. On the other hand, there are
simple natural techniques, which will allow you to do it.
What you can’t control about your metabolism:
Age: Metabolism slows about 5 percent for each decade after 40.
That’s because as we get older, we tend to lose muscle and gain body
fat. Lean muscle mass is more metabolically active than fat tissue. So
when you lose muscle mass, your metabolism slows down.
Gender: Men generally have faster metabolisms than women because
they’re larger and have less body fat. Men’s basal metabolic rate is
estimated to be 10 percent to 15 percent higher than women’s.
Hypothyroidism: An underactive thyroid will slow down your metabolism
and ultimately lead to weight gain. The good news is that a simple
blood test can determine whether you have this condition or not. If
you do, you can control it with the proper medication.
Genetics: Some people are lucky enough to be born with speedy
metabolisms — and others are not.
What you can control about your metabolism: Diet

Don’t eat fewer than 1,000 calories a day. Your body and metabolism
thrive on food. When you fast or crash diet, your metabolism will slow
down in order to conserve energy. Imagine your metabolism as a blazing
fire. If the fire burns consistently with the appropriate amount of
high-quality wood, it will burn at a steady rate. But if it doesn’t
have enough wood, the fire goes out. If it has too much wood, it can
get out control — just like your waistline!
Eat every four to five hours. Our bodies work hard to digest and
absorb the foods we eat, and your metabolism revs up in response.
This is called the thermic effect of food. Take full advantage of this
and schedule meals and snacks every four to five hours.
Make breakfast a priority. Studies show that people who regularly eat
a healthy breakfast within two hours of rising are more likely to
control their weight. This may be because you’re lifting your
metabolic rate after it’s been in a “resting phase” during the night.
Eat protein with every meal: All foods create a thermic effect and
will slightly boost your metabolism. However, eating protein gives
your body a bigger metabolic boost than eating carbohydrates or fats.
Plus, eating enough protein will ensure you’ll maintain and build
muscle mass. (Remember, the more muscle mass you have, the greater
your metabolic rate). Make sure to incorporate lean protein into most
every meal.
Best protein sources: fish, chicken breast, turkey breast, lean red
meat, skim milk, nonfat yogurt, eggs and egg substitutes, tofu, beans,
and lentils.

Meal Examples:

Breakfast: yogurt with fresh fruit
Lunch: turkey burger on whole-grain bun and a salad
Dinner: grilled chicken with vegetables and a baked potato
Exercise

Do aerobic exercise four to five days a week. Aerobic activities,
such as running, brisk walking, swimming and bike riding, burn
calories and increase metabolism while you’re working out. Several
studies show that aerobic activities cause your metabolism to stay at
an elevated level for a period of time after you have finished
exercising.
Work in strength-training exercise two to three days a week. Lifting
weights and other strengthening activities, such as doing push-ups or
crunches, on a regular basis will actually boost your resting
metabolism all day. That’s because these activities build muscle. And
once again, muscle burns more calories than body fat. In fact, if you
have more muscle, you burn more calories — even if you’re sitting
still.
When it comes to supplements, I do not recommend them. The
ingredients that are effective tend to boost metabolism only slightly
and they can be risky. High doses of stimulants can make you jittery,
and increase heart rate and blood pressure.
The bottom line: The safest and most effective way to boost your
metabolism is to eat an appropriate amount of food every four to five
hours, incorporate a portion of lean protein into each meal, and
exercise regularly!

Donna asks…

I need to increase calorie intake without gaining weight, but my metabolism is slow?

I'm currently a 5'2", 110 lb, 20 yr old girl and in the past 3 months I've lost about 10 lbs from eating healthier... and less. My calorie intake has decreased drastically. I know it is REALLY unhealthy, and my body is probably in starvation mode, but recently I've only been consuming about 800-900 calories/day!

I realize how dangerous this is and I'd like to get back up to at least 1200 calories/day. But I know my metabolism is probably really slow. How can I get it fired up again? And get back up to 1200 calories without exploding back up to 120 lbs?

Also, I don't exercise too much. I do light cardio for about 1 hour, 3x week.

(please don't tell me what a retard I am for only eating 800 cals/day... I already know this.)
Thanks!

admin answers:

You're smart enough to know you need more calories so you are definitely no retard. I have hypothyroidism which is bonified "slow metabolism" and have to take thyroid medicine for it. Anyway, to add calories and not fat, use what hospitals use Ensure with protein or on the same line Boost with protein..they are found in the pharmacy/vitamin section of most stores. If you are going to increase your calorie intake there are a few ways to increase your metabolism. Cold water first thing in the morning and 7 more through the day. Why cold? Because your body will try to get it back to your base temp. 98.6 and that requires metabolism to speed up. 30 mins. Of speed walking in the morning. Do mild toning wt. Training-muscle burns fat but is heavier than fat so don't use a scale anymore, use a tape measure or the feel of your clothes to let you know how you're doing. Eat 5 meals a day. Breakfast starts metabolism too, healthy snack in 3 hrs., lunch, snack again, supper before 7 p.m. If you are in "starvation mode" then your metabolism slows down and conserves your store of fat and instead chows on your muscles. Be very afraid if this is happening because the primary target is to eat the heart muscle.don't worry so much about getting 'fat' concern yourself about staying healthy. Believe me if you look around, you'll see most of us have weight problems--we're overweight, so relax about a few lbs. Take care.

Jenny asks…

Increase my Metabolism.?

I have been looking online and Have found that I should increase my metabolism. The way to do this I found Is by eating small meals and exercising. I am a student so I can't just east a small meal in class. How could I go about increasing my metabolism without food? Or Can I?

admin answers:

It's true that eating small meals and exercising is what will help you the most, but there are other things it sounds like you can do. Try drinking green tea, it's a natural metabolism booster. Also, always eat a breakfast, even if it's just a quick piece of toast or something, as breakfast wakes up your metabolism--just make sure your breakfast is healthy! Exercise is also key- it is important to do quick exercise in the morning, as it gives your metabolism an extra boost, even if it's only 5 minutes on the exercise bike or a quick routine of push-ups and crunches. Also, never go more than 5 hours during the day without a quick healthy snack, otherwise you're metabolism slows down.

Michael asks…

exercises to increase metabolism lose tummy fat?

i am skinny but when i look front on or to the side i look fat. from the front my curves don't look right.. when i look to the side my stomach gradually gets bigger.. i have small boobs so that doesn't help..Im 14 and i feel uncomfortable sitting without a sweater since my stomach rolls over my pants.. but they're not too big cause if i go up a size they'll be way to big in the waste . I'm a size three so i know i'm not over weight. i just need to know how to increase metabolism and lose tummy fat

are there any EXERCISES (not diets) that could help with my metabolism... and my tummy fat.. also not cutting or adding food to my diet (aka Acai Tea) and exercises such as walking my dog that would work.. Also i have a wii so any games you would suggest buying that could help would be great!!!

thank you so much!

admin answers:

There are many forms of metabolism going on in your body right now, but the one everyone is talking about it the metabolism of fat. This is actually something that the liver does when it converts stored fat to energy. The liver has other functions, but this is one of its main jobs.

Unfortunately, another of the liver's duties is to pick up the slack for the kidneys, which need plenty of water to work properly. If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has to do their work along with its own, lowering its total productivity. It then can't metabolize fat as quickly or efficiently as it could when the kidneys were pulling their own weight. If you allow this to happen, not only are you being unfair to your liver, but you're also setting yourself up to store fat.
So, drink 6-8 8oz.glasses of water a day,
The most recent scientific study, published in the journal Obesity Research, found that drinking at least 3 eight-ounce glasses of fat free milk in a day helped people lose more weight than those dieters who drank little or no milk.

Most importantly, milk drinkers' fat loss, especially around their tummies, was significantly greater. They also maintained more muscle. So, drink your milk and water and eat a lot of fruit and veggies and baked meats and boiled meats like chicken and turkey ,i like to make extra so i can snack on cold chicken later don't use bbq sauce it has sugar ,use garlic powder or lemon pepper season .eat tuna in water not oil,no mayo, mix it in green beans,all beans are high in protine low in fat,like pinto beans mix them with crushed tomatoes,do not eat fried foods,do not drink soda, do not eat junk food or chips,do not eat before bed, just eat well and do not eat small amounts or your body will go into starvation mode, just choose good foods, i hope i helped,

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment