Thursday, March 1, 2012

Questions About How To Boil An Egg To Peel Easily

Sharon asks…

how to boil an egg so that the peel easily comes off?

sometimes the peel comes right off and other times little tiny pieces come off taking lots of the egg white off in chunks. don't know what i'm doing right or what i'm doing wrong either time.

admin answers:

A lot of good answers here. Yes, the older the egg, the easier they are to peel, and I always put mine in an ice water bath just after boiling. The easiest way I have found is that once your eggs have cooled, crack them all over. ( I know, I was hesitant to do this at first because I had visions of having to pick the egg shell off in a hundred pieces.) Then, under cold running water, gently roll the egg between the palms of your hands to loosen the shell from the egg. Then proceed to peel the egg (still under running water), you will be surprised, often times the shell comes off in one piece.

Robert asks…

How to boil eggs so they peel easily?

When I was in the USMC in Okinawa, you could literally take a boiled egg from the chow hall, roll it across the table just enough to crack the shell and watch the egg fall out of the two halves.

How did they do that??!

I've tried allowing eggs to stay warm longer.
I've tried cooling them down quickly.
I've tried a little salt in the water.
I've tried a lot of salt in the water.

Anyone know for sure what works 100% of the time?

admin answers:

I put my eggs in a pot and just cover them in water. Then I let them boil for 15 minutes and immediately let cold water run into the pot until all of the water is cold, then peel them. Works great for me every time!!!

Lizzie asks…

After Easter question: why do some hard boiled eggs peel so easily and others don't peel at all?

After Easter question, or anytime really...

I've read all sorts of theories (new eggs, old eggs) and supposed cooking guidelines for the perfect easy to shell egg (bring to a boil, turn off, let sit 20 minutes, add ice and cold water to chill...) and yet in the same batch of hard boiled eggs, done the same way from the same box, some peel so easily and others you are taking off the shell piece by piece and ripping pieces of white away.

Who can solve the mystery for me?? Why is this and how can you make the perfect, easy to shell, hard boiled egg?

admin answers:

It comes down to this -
Older eggs peel easier. There is less airspace at the top of the shell as it shrinks with time making the shell less tight against the egg.
You can cook the egg in any temperature of water, add salt, vinegar and it doesn't matter.

Ruth asks…

How old does a freshly layed egg have to be to be able to hard boil it and have it peel easily?

Does it have to be 1 hour old, 6 hours old, 24 hours old, a week old, a month old or longer??

admin answers:

Why do you need to know the exact time before you can boil it? Are you standing there with your hands under your chicken waiting to catch the egg so yo can boil it? Lol.
I think that the only rules are that it definatley needs to be less than a month old and has been properly refrigerated.
One thing I learned is that if yo add about a teaspoon of salt to the water as it boils, it makes the shell come off much easier. I did an experiment to see if it mattered and it does! Oh yeah, eggs should boil for about 13 minutes to be done.
God bless you and your chicken...lol

Sandra asks…

Speaking of eggs again...have you found a way to hard boil them so they peel easily?

Usually, I have no problems with them, but last time it seemed like there was no membrane under the shell.

I put cool water in a pot, add a shake of salt for each egg, let eggs come to room temp., bring to a boil, full boil for 10 minutes, drain, cool in ice water. Roll the egg gently and peel from the rounded end airpocket.
My son worked at a restaurant and said this is how they do it so the eggs don't crack...and are SUPPOSED to peel easily.

Got any great ideas?

admin answers:

I cover the eggs with cold water, bring to a full boil. If you use a gas stove, turn the heat off. If you use an electric stove, turn the heat off and take the pot off the burner.

I let them sit for 20 minutes, then run cold water in the pot until all the hot water is gone out of the pot.

I then crack each egg by thunking it on the side of the sink in several places. I put the cracked egg back in the pot of cold water. I do this with each egg.

I then pick up the first egg that I cracked and peel it, and then finish peeling them in the order in which they were cracked.

I rinse each egg after peeling and put on some paper towels or a plate or whatever on the counter.

This method has seldom let me down. I wind up with beautiful hard-cooked eggs, even when they're very fresh eggs.

By the way, if your eggs ever stand straight up in water to cover, then don't cook those, they're absolutely bad. If they're at a 45 degree angle, they're fine for hard-cooking or baking, but don't soft-scramble or fry with the yolks less than absolutely done. If they lay flat in the pan, they're totally fresh.

Of course, the egg could still be infected with salmonella (total cooking kills salmonella), so even if it's totally fresh it doesn't mean it's safe to eat raw or undercooked.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment