Thursday, March 8, 2012

Questions About How To Force Quit On Mac Word

Donna asks…

I can't open a word mac document on a Mac computer.?

I am new to an office (as well as the only person) that has a lot of documents stored on a Mac computer. I am a PC user and have had to hunt and peck to figure out how to use the Mac. I find some of the more basic things to be very confusing. Example opening a word mac doc. When I click on the doc nothing happens. I then realized you have to right click and select how you want to open. If I didn't create the document, how do I know what to open it in? Using the doc that I am attempting to open as an example...I selected the first option which was mac word. There is a rainbow circle moving on the dialog box, but nothing ever opens. I can't stop without a forced quit. Any help is appreciated!!!

admin answers:

It's really no different on the Mac. If you have installed Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac then the operating system will know to use Microsoft Word to open all Word files. That's the best and easiest thing to do. If you get a lot of Word documents you should purchase the Office program.

Your Mac comes with TextEdit, a word processing program (pretty good, actually, if you only need basic word processing features) that can open and save in Microsoft Word format. All you have to do is tell your Mac that you want TextEdit to open Word files. To do this, right-click on a Word document and choose Get Info from the pop-up menu. Where the Get Info dialog says Open With, click the pop-up menu and choose TextEdit. Then click the Change All button so that TextEdit will open all your Word documents from then on.

If your Word documents are more complex than just text, then you can use the free Microsoft Word edition on the internet. Use the free "light" version from Microsoft at this Microsoft site:
http://www.skydrive.com/

The other way to get Microsoft Office for free is to use Docs.com (requires a Facebook account)
http://www.docs.com/

Chris asks…

word keeps crashing on my mac?

Word just freezes and i have to force quit all the time. Any suggestions on why, or how to fix it?

admin answers:

Go through your entire home folder and remove ALL the plists that have *anything* to do with word or office for that matter. Make sure you also remove the 'microsoft user data' or something along those lines in your home documents folder as well.Works every time I need to fix that when I'm at work. Let me know how it goes!

James asks…

How do I use Microsoft Office 08 (mac) on multiple computers without being forced to exit?

I installed Microsoft Office 2008 on multiple macs, using the same serial number. When both computers try to run Word, one of the computers forces the program to quit. If I turn off the airport, it will allow both of the computers to run it, however this can be inconvenient sometimes if i need to use the internet. Is there some way to run Word on both computers at the same time, with the Airport enabled?

admin answers:

If you purchased the Home and Student edition of MS Office 2008 for Mac, it come with 3 licenses, which would allow you to run up to three instances of the app on your network simultaneously.

Steven asks…

Please help me with this computer issue.?

Please help. My computer froze after i spent countless hours on several documents. I have a Mac and microsoft office 2004 - where the documents are located.

How can i save the documents, i tried waiting it out.. however it doesn't seem to be working after 20 minutes. Please help me: i am a university student and the essays are due tomorrow - i will fail my course. I haven't saved it and am running out of time. I cannot print them or even scroll through the documents. PLEASE HELP!

Should i force quit WORD or restart the computer?

admin answers:

If you "force quit from it, or restart the computer" all your data will be lost, if you didn't give it a Name and save the file, at least once, before Word froze.

Word's AutoSave feature ONLY starts working after the initial save, because it needs to know the file name that you gave it.

And, sadly, if you didn't give it a Name and save the file, everything is gone.

TIP: In the future, give it a Name and save the file, after the FIRST paragraph or page.

Jenny asks…

mac running so so slowly and making weird sounds. music stops playing/documents get ruined or quit themselves?

a few months ago it only happened ocassionally; my mac would suddenly start running at a ridiculously slow rate/i could hear worrying sounds coming from inside. either i would just wait until it got better and continue, i'd wait til it got better then restart the computer, or it was so bad that i would just hold down the off button and force it to shut down.
nowww it's happening a lot more frequently - and on top of the weird noises/slow running - music often stops playing (it's stopped now actually, and it comes back to playing for about 10 seconds then stops again which is indescribably frustrating)...and every now and then i'll open a word doc or powerpoint and it will just become corrupt or something (as in, every time i open it things go all weird, they quit themselves 'due to an unexpected error', and the actual file sometimes goes all weird and messy.
i googled about the issues and did all these little things to try and help the matter but it's still just shit. i have plenty of 'ram space' or whatever according to the pie chart on my activity thing (it's mostly green?). i really don't have all that much on my computer. about 4000 songs which isn't as much as other people i know..i have a few powerpoint presentations that are in excess of 200 slides that have all my study notes on them. other than that there isn't much on my computer.
so i'm just confused and would like to know wwwwhy my computer is a piece of shit when other people who have a lot more crap than me seem to have no issues. also any suggestions/advice on how i could fix anything would be much appreciated.
thanks!!!

admin answers:

You should run Disk Utility and see what it has to say about your hard drive.

You will find Disk Utility in Applications > Utilities. In the left side, click on the name of your hard drive, then click the Verify button.

By any chance to you have a CD or DVD stuck in the drive?

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment