Friday, March 16, 2012

Questions About How To Induce Labor With Castor Oil

Sandra asks…

Does castor oil really help induce labor?

I am 3 days past my due date and do not want to be induced so I am willing to try anything HEALTHY and/or natural to help induce labor.

Does castor oil really help? If so, how much should I take. Please let me know your experience with it. Are there any dangers that you have heard of?

If you have any other methods of inducing please let me know. I am walking, having sex, pushing my pressure points, and stimulating my nipples.
Thanks in advance!!

admin answers:

2 tablespoons.

And I normally do not condone it, but you are past your due date and even midwives advise caster oil for those past due.

It IS a laxative. You WILL get diarrhea, but it's still relatively safe.

AND - don't listen to people who say it will make your baby have a bowel movement in utero, that is a MYTH.

Michael asks…

Is it safe to use castor oil to induce labor naturally?

Im 37 weeks pregnant and I dont think I'm gonna have my baby next week and I heard that yo can drink castor oil to naturally induce labor with slight side effects i.e diarrhea. Has anyone tried this method before and how successful or unsuccessful was it? Will I poop during pushing? I can't sleep at all right now and have extreme discomfort.

admin answers:

I have never met a single person that castor oil did anything for other than cause severe diarrhea and cramping. Wait, that's not true-one of them ended up receiving IV fluids for extreme dehydration because it made her so sick. You aren't even due yet..the baby will come when it's time, not necessarily when you want it to.

Richard asks…

How much do you need to take castor oil to induce labor, I am 39 weeks pregnant. Can somebody help me, please?

I am 39 weeks and 2 days pregnant, and want to induce my labor.I am 1 cm open, and having irregular contractions. My GYN told me to take oil but in the amount of 1 tablespoon. I did research and it says that you need to take more.Please can somebody help me, who has an expirience with oil.THANK YOU...

admin answers:

Castor oil should only be considered as an absolute last resort, like after 41 weeks. It is a strong laxative. The way it works is by causing strong cramps in your stomach and intestines, which triggers sympathy cramps in the uterus. This is altogether aweful- the last thing you need in labor are stomach cramps and diarrhea! Women who take castor oil are at risk of getting dehydrated, which increases the pain and decreases the effectiveness of contractions. Also, it doesn't always work. Oftentimes women just stress out their bodies, have horrible stomach upset, get dehydrated and still don't go into labor until their body is ready. The reason your doctor told you to take a small dose is to decrease the adverse effects, higher amounts will wreak havoc on your system- not worth it even if it helps start up labor.
There are plenty of other far less dangerous ways to encourage your labor. First, have your OBG sweep your membranes at your next visit. This is a simple procedure where he/she will tease the amniotic sac away from the cervix, and is very effective at stimulating labor.
Also, stimulating your nipples can be very effective. This can be done by hand or with a breast pump, and there are various different patterns you can try. This isn't a wives tale either- stimulation of the nipples causes the release of oxytocin, the hormone responsible for uterine contractions. This is the same mechanism by which breastfeeding helps your uterus contract back to normal postpartum. Try using a manual breast pump at each breast for about 15 minutes at a time, then give it a 15 minute break before repeating. This will almost always cause contractions, sometimes they may not continue but they do sometimes. If you don't have a pump, try massaging your nipples between your thumb and finger for 3 minutes, stopping for 2 minutes, then repeating until you get a reaction.
Also, walking around alot will help, as gravity causes your baby's head to put more pressure on your cervix.
There are many many other ways people suggest you can stimulate labor, but most have no actual scientific explanation so are usually dismissed by professionals.
Hang in there, your baby will come out eventually and I promise it will be worth the wait =)

George asks…

how many of you used castor oil to induce labor in late pregnancy?

I will be 40 weeks on monday... I was wondering how many of you used castor oil my mother in law and mother keep suggesting it? I herd that you can get the runs really bad from it but what if you only take a little bit... and what is it exactly is it like a pill or a drink can you mix it with something? How many of you have used it?

no negativity i probably wont use, just stick to walking just curious!

admin answers:

That is stupid to take it can make your baby have a bowel movement in side you and can cause your bowel to bust look it up

Ken asks…

Who has taken Castor Oil to induce labor?

Did it work?
How much did you take?
If it did work, how long did it take to work?
If it didn't work, what happened- did you just have the runs or nothing at all?
What is your experience with Castor Oil?

I figured I would ask this in both the pregnancy and baby/infant.

admin answers:

I have. I used it two times with 2 kids

yes it worked
3 tablespoons of castor oil
about 5-10 hours
i had the runs for about an hour
i was desperite to get my 8 lb 8 oz child out
everything was fine
_____________________________
yes it worked
3 tsp
about 3 hours
had the runs
i was stuck dilated to 4 for 5 days so i wanted my 8 lb 5 oz baby out
everything was fine but i pooped during delivery

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment