Saturday, March 24, 2012

Questions About How To Cook A Turkey In A Roaster Oven

Jenny asks…

What is the best way to cook a turkey in a roaster oven?

I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my in-laws this year (first time, keep fingers crossed) and I want to cook the turkey in my Rival Roaster Oven. Does any one have suggestions on how to cook it to ensure that it doesn't end up too dry?

admin answers:

I use my Rival Roaster Oven all the time to cook my Thanksgiving turkey and it comes out very moist. It won't look as pretty as a turkey coming out of your regular oven but it will not go dry. Preheat the oven to at least 325° F. Place the turkey on the roaster oven's rack or other meat rack so the juices will collect in the metal oven liner. Leave the lid on throughout cooking, removing it as little as possible to avoid slowing the cooking process and browning.

Cooking bags can be used in the roaster oven as long as the bag does not touch the sides, bottom or lid. Follow directions given by the cooking bag manufacturer, and use a meat thermometer to be sure the internal temperature in the inner thigh reaches 180° F.

Paul asks…

How to cook a turkey using a roaster oven ?

My oven broke a couple of days ago, so my cousin is going to lend me her roaster oven to make my turkey in. I have never used a roaster oven before so I'm a little nervous about how the turkey will come out. My turkey is 11 pounds so how long will I need to leave it in the roaster oven ?

admin answers:

Do it just like a regular oven.
It should only take a couple hours.
I just got one last year and the turkey came out great.
I think it cooked a little faster.
Using it again this year.
They are really nice, then you have the oven for the casseroles.

Betty asks…

how much time to cook turkey in a roaster oven?

admin answers:

15 minutes per pound. So 5 lbs would be and hour and 15 minutes

Thomas asks…

How long to cook an 18 lb turkey in a roaster oven?

Turkey will be stuffed, my regular oven is not working well and I don't trust it! So I will be using a roaster oven, and don't want to mess it up!

admin answers:

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'roaster oven', but here are charts for both stuffed and unstuffed cooking times:
http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blturkey7.htm

ON EDIT: Ahh, I see. I just looked up 'roaster oven'. I think, as long as you can set the temperature on your roaster, the time will be the same as a regular oven. You really should use a meat thermometer; that way there's no guesswork when cooking any kind of meat.

Susan asks…

how long to cook a 13.75 pound turkey in a roaster oven?

i AMcooking a 13.75 pound turkey for dinner tonight in a roaster oven. & i do not know how long to cook the turkey for !! PLEASE HELP ME

admin answers:

These times are approximate:

Unstuffed
8 to 12 pounds 2 3/4 to 3 hours
12 to 14 pounds 3 to 3 3/4 hours
14 to 18 pounds 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours
18 to 20 pounds 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours
20 to 24 pounds 4 1/2 to 5 hours

Stuffed
8 to 12 pounds 3 to 3 1/2 hours
12 to 14 pounds 3 1/2 to 4 hours
14 to 18 pounds 4 to 4 1/4 hours
18 to 20 pounds 4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hours
20 to 24 pounds 4 3/4 to 5 1/4 hours

The USDA does not recommend cooking turkey in an oven set lower than 325°F.




Edit: Happy Easter! Don't forget to use your turkey carcass to make stock, boiling (for about 2 hours) it with:

2 halved yellow onions with skin on (for colour)
2 medium carrots
3 stalks celery
thyme
bay leaves

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment