Monday, January 23, 2012

Questions About How To Cite A Book In An Essay

Carol asks…

am i supposed to cite quotes from a book in an essay?

i am doing a book essay and i have some quotes that i am getting from the book. do i need to cite them? and if i need to cite them, how do i cite them?

thank you!

admin answers:

I take it the essay is in MLA format.
If you are doing the entire essay on only one book you need
to mention the author once with the page number (Milton, 33)
and then only note page numbers thereafter (65-66).

Maria asks…

How do you cite an essay in a book?

I have a book that has a couple of essays and I want to cite one essay in MLA format. How do you do that?

admin answers:

Check out the Purdue OWL (just type that into google, OWL stands for Online Writing Lab) or use a site like http://www.easybib.com

Donna asks…

how to mla cite an essay?

I have a critique on an essay and I need to know how to MLA cite the essay. The essay is in the book 50 essays a portable anthology third edition by samuel cohen. The essay i critiqued is The ends of the worlds as we know them by jared diamon p. 98-105. How would i cite this? would i cite the book and the essay? or together?

admin answers:

BEST WEBSITE EVER: an MLA citation machine.

Http://citationmachine.net/index2.php?reqstyleid=1&newstyle=1&stylebox=1

Joseph asks…

How to cite dialogue from a book in an essay?

I need to quote this in an essay.
It is written in the book like this....
Polus: Then, according to your doctrine, the said Archhelaus is miserable?
Socrates: Yes, my friend, if he is wicked.

Do i have to put quotations around the name? leave the names out or what?

admin answers:

You leave the names out during the quote. Instead try to integrate what is going on into your own sentence, like this: As the police investigate, he is convinced "they [are] making a mockery of [his] horror!" (Poe 183). This is from Telltale Heart. There are a couple things you need to remember.
-You need to write it as it's seen in the quote, which is why the "they" isn't capitalized and I've included the ! .
-You need to edit to keep whatever you're quoting in present tense, because in the original quote it says "were" instead of "are", and since I changed it I put the changed word in square brackets, which you will need to do. You need to paraphrase some things and put them in square brackets because the quote won't make much sense without it.
-Since I have integrated this into my own sentence, I have to change "my" to "his". If you don't want to do something like that you could change it to something like: As the police investigated the old man's disappearance, he thinks, "They were making a mockery of my horror!" (Poe 183).
-You cite it right after the quote is done, in brackets, saying (Poe [who the author of the quote is] 183 [and the page number it's found on]). [include the punctuation for the entire quote at the end of the citation, so that ! Doesn't act as end punctuation, it's part of the quote]. And that's all.

But I think you would be better off with a long quote, which the above doesn't apply to. And not to discount everything I've said so far but you should know the basics before you go into the complex stuff. There are a couple differences:
-You put the long quote on a new line, introducing the scenario with a small sentence, saying something like: Frankenstein speaks [key word, speaks] of the absolute devastation [introduce an emotion] he feels following the death [scenario] of his childhood companion, Justine: [use a colon to introduce a long quote].
-Then you put the quote itself, start on a new line and double indent, and keep that double indent for every line of the quote. Continuing from above, it should look like:
[Double indent] "I wept bitterly, and wished that peace would revisit my mind only that I might afford [my family] consolation and happiness. But that could not be. Remorse extinguished every hope." (Shelly 62)
-I said the key word was "speaks" in the segue sentence, which is why there are " "'s around this long quote. If your long quote is narration, it won't need quotation marks. Since yours contains some, just put them around the parts that are spoken.
-End punctuation goes inside the quotation this time, and the cite can stand on it's own.
-I needed to put [my family] in there because the original quote it said "them" and I need to clarify.
-And then you can return to your regular paragraph.

Okay, I hope that was helpful.

Linda asks…

How do you correctly cite a quote from a book in an essay?

I want to cite a quote by Crooks in John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. How would I do this right?

admin answers:

Okay example:

"the cat ate the bird" Smith(2008)
thats a citation in apa style
'THE CAT ATE THE BIRD" this is the content that you abstarcted from the book to your essay. SMITH is the authors last name ans (2008) always in parenthesis the publishing date of the book.

When you want to abstract content from the book and put it in your own words it should be like this:
"the bird was eaten by the cat" (smith 2008) the authors name should be included in the parentheis as well the date.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment