Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Questions About How To Install Laminate Flooring On Concrete

George asks…

how to install laminate wood flooring on a concrete slab?

admin answers:

If you install the correct substrate layer a laminate floor can quite easily be laid onto a concrete floor, just make sure as a previous poster said that there are flat surfaces to fit to.

Presumably the concrete floor is dpcm protected and moisture cannot penetrate from ground and warp your laminate pieces.

Donna asks…

Installing laminate floor over concrete.?

I will be using prepaded laminate flooring on top of a concrete slab. Do I need to use an adhesive ? How does the floor stay down ?

admin answers:

No do not use adhesive.Your laminate is a floating floor and will expand and contract with heating and cooling of the floor.You will need a moisture barrier(plastic sheeting)because all the prepadded laminate ive ever seen requires a moisture barrier over concrete slab.The weight of the floor keeps it down but if you attach it to anything it will cause the floor to buckle or seperate when it expands or contracts.Depending on where your installing it and what brand you may need to fill expansion gap with silicone and/or to glue the pieces together to keep moisture from getting down between the boards.

Ken asks…

Laminate flooring?

I'm installing laminate flooring and am planning on using my existing carpet padding (it's really thin). I'm installing the flooring on a concrete foundation. How important is it for me to use an underlayment/vapor barrier such as Visqueen? What are the consequences, both short and long-term if I choose not to use a vapor barrier?

admin answers:

Visqueen is plastic sheeting
you can pick that up for $5 a roll from walmart.
You can also use felt paper rolls, the kind used for roofing but not tarred.

Moisture will be the big culprit. It may smell musty and damp.

If your going to spend money on flooring then spend a little extra and get the right stuff or pay more when you have to replace everything later on.

Helen asks…

How to install laminate click-floor floating reducer in doorway?

I am installing Torlys Steps uni-click flooring. How do you install the floating reducer as shown in the below website, on a concrete basement floor? The flooring is installed vertically, and the doorway is horizontal. Do I just glue down the plastic track to the cement floor, cut the boards so it is close to the track leaving a slight gap for expansion, then click in the floating reducer?

http://www.torlys.com/uniclicaccess.asp

admin answers:

Liquid nails might do the trick, but if it were mine, I would drill into the concrete 1-1/2" every 6" and put in small pieces of wooden dowels about 1/4" thick with some glue. And put some nails in it. No muss no fuss, never will break loose. Good Luck

Richard asks…

I want to install laminate flooring in my house. Help?

How do I go about measuring the rooms (I'm not used to the English system..my whole life I've used the metric one but now I moved to the US).

Here are a few issues with my house:
-there's carpet everywhere, with concrete underneath (ground floor, lol) -WOULD ANY OF THIS BE A PROBLEM for installation?
-there's carpet on the stairwell..which is a mess and I'd love to be able to replace with laminate too. Is it worth it or it's just too expensive? Do you think it would be better to just replace the carpet with a new one, on the straiwell, would that be cheaper?

-I want to go for a cheap laminate...I've read everything on Home Depot's site. I'm wondering..will I regret going for the cheapest one? Are they very bad compared to the more expensive?

-I have a cat who from time to time throws up:(((( Would that affect the laminate flooring/stain it??? Or is it very impermeable?

Thank you sooo much. Any help is greatly appreciated.

admin answers:

Laminate floorin is ok to place over concrete just insure you lay the plastic and foam down first.
To measure, get a 30 foot tape measure and measure one wall left to right and the next wall left to right. Total both numbers (example 24' x 24' = 576') you will have to buy enough flooring to cover 576 square feet for that room.
The stairs should not be a problem as long as you get the end caps.
I would got to Lowes or Home depot and tell them youre plans they should work with you.
Good luck

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment