Sunday, January 29, 2012

Questions About How To Cook Butternut Squash In Oven

James asks…

How do you cook butternut squash?

I bake it upside down in the oven but what
should I add to flavor it up and satisfy picky kids?
thanks in advance.

admin answers:

The classic is butter and brown sugar. You can also add a little oj to that, and some chopped pecans and cinnamon. OR you can use maple syrup. Bake it "meat" side up if you're doing that, or turn it up 1/2 way through baking and then add.

Mark asks…

Butternut Squash... best way to cook it soft?

I have had butternut squash a couple times, and once someone made it really soft with salt. No Sugar or sweetness. It was wonderful! How should I cook this? I have never cooked it before. I saw a recipie for cutting it in half, or cooking it in the oven whole. What makes it softer?
should i peel it? wrap in foil?

admin answers:

I am cooking some right now

Cut in half - take out seeds
Place in 8x8 baking dish
1/4 inch water in bottom of dish
Cover with saran wrap
Cook in microwave for 4 minutes
Take out unwrap (CAUTION HOT)
Place butter and brown sugar in each 1/2
Recover and cook about 3-5 min depending on how soft you want them.

Even my 10 month old grand daughter loves these - minus the sugar

Helen asks…

How do you make butternut squash?

i want to cook it in the oven. im going to mix the meat (after cooked) with brown sugar and butter.
how long should i cook it for?
how high should i put the heat?
how much butter and brown sugar should i use?

10 points!

admin answers:

I cook the squash at 350F for about 45 min.

I cut it in half lengthwise and clean out the seeds (leave the peeling on). To each half add a tablespoon of butter, and generously sprinkle with brown sugar (about 1 teaspoon) and cinnamon (Maybe 1/2 Tsp) and cover with foil. Once it is baked you can serve it as is by cutting into serving pieces or remove the meat and mash adding butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Charles asks…

How do you microwave a butternut squash?

Hey Y'all, I just got a new winter and summer squash recipe in which the directions say to pierce and cook the squash in the microwave until barely tender. I'm using a butternut squash in the recipe, but I've never cooked one in the microwave and I need to know how long it might take to get to barely tender. Has anyone ever nuked a squash? How long do you think it would take? I know how to cook them in the oven, but I think this is supposed to sqeed the process because the recipe is to saute afterward. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

admin answers:

I cook butternut squash in the microwave all the time.

You can poke holes in the big end (where it's hollow) then cook for 8-10 min or so for "barely tender" (you can turn them over and reverse their direction, halfway through if you want). But you'll still end up with two problems... The small end will take longer to cook because the flesh is solid and thickest there. And secondly, the outside skin will be re-e-eally hot for awhile and hard to hold on to while you scoop out and cut the flesh into bits to saute.

So generally now, I just cut the flesh up and microwave only that (not cutting the whole squash... That's kind of difficult and dangerous). You could do the same thing, just don't microwave so long for "barely tender."

Before nuking, I peel the skin off down to the orange with a peeler (I like the Y type, but the regular type will work too).. You can lay the squash on a dish towel rather than trying to hold it with one hand if it's large.
Then I lay the naked squash on my cutting board and cut it into thick slices (disks) and remove the seeds when I get to them (here you could cut them into the shapes you want for sauteing, or you could do that after nuking). Then place them in a baking dish (covered) and microwave for 10 min or longer. (I usually then mash up with a fork and serve with butter...yum.)


Good luck!

Diane B.

Ken asks…

a question about how to prepare butternut squash?

ok i am looking for someone who can tell me how they make butternut squash? right now i have one butternut squash peeled and cut into chunks boiling in a large pot of water on my stove. the last time i made this vegetable i roasted it in the oven and it didnt come out too well so i am trying it this way. is it possible to make them come out whipped like mashed potatoes with the way i am cooking it now? anyone else ever boiled butternut squash before? any ideas?

admin answers:

Yes, you can prepare butternut squash just as you would mashed potatoes. Salt, pepper, a little cream and butter. When you roast butternut squash, use a high temperature i.e. 425. Keep an eye on them tossing every 5 minutes to prevent over browning.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment