Friday, January 13, 2012

Questions About How To Love Ukulele Chords

George asks…

I need tips on barring ukulele chords?

Hey everyone!
I'm teaching myself to play the ukulele (I have a soprano uke) and I really want to learn "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train, but I'm having massive amounts of trouble barring the E chord! So I would love some tips on how to hold your fingers and stuff in order to not hit the bottom string while barring it.
Thanks!

Also, any other awesome songs to play on the uke, I'd love to know! (please, don't suggest jason mraz, he's obvious, and I have a few of his already)

admin answers:

Hiddencovergirl,
Lot's of people have trouble with the E when they first start. Here's a few suggestions.
1. Keep your thumb on the back of your ukulele and use only your fingertips on the strings when chording. By keeping your thumb on the back of the neck it'll make your hand into a claw shape and force you to use your fingertips on the strings. Watch some professionals (like Joe Walsh of the Eagles) on Youtube and you'll see they use mostly their fingertips.
2. I do it this way. Use your 1st finger on the 2nd fret of your E string and only your 2nd and 3rd fingers on the fourth fret of your G, C, and E strings. Use only two fingers for the top three strings instead of trying to jam all three fingers on them. You'll find your fingers are probably wide enough to cover two strings.
3. This one's a little more difficult. Place your 1st finger on the 2nd fret of your G string, your 2nd finger on the 2nd fret of your E string, your ring and little fingers on the 4rd fret of your C and E strings. Use whichever finger (ring or little) is most comfortable for the C and E strings. You may be able to use only your ring finger for the two middle strings. You see, 2nd fret of your G string is the same note as the 4th fret of your E string.
4. Can you do a Bq chord? If you can then you can slide your Bq chord up to the 7th fret. It's the same chord only in the 2nd position.
5. Can you transpose the song to a different key? If you can then you can skip that dreaded E chord altogether. 'o'
Hope this is more helpful than confusing.
Have fun,
CowUkeA

Linda asks…

Nevershoutnever Ukulele Chords?

I recently fell in love with nevershoutnever and his songs, and a friend borrowed me her ukulele to mess around with. I don't know how to play the thing, but I'm a quick learner..does anyone know where I can find the chords for his songs Trouble, Bigcitydreams, or Heregoesnothin?
I would appreciate it if anyone also knows a nice free website to learn the basics of playing a ukulele?
Thank you so much =)

admin answers:

Here's a place to start for lessons. It will lead you to a whole bunch of ukulele related sites.

Http://ukuleleunderground.com/

Mark asks…

Chords for "Minor Swing" on the ukulele?

Does anyone know which chords I can use to play the song "Minor Swing" from the film "Chocolat" on the ukulele? I would love to learn how to play it on my little uke, as it is my favorite song! :)

admin answers:

I think you mean "Minor Swing" by Django Reinhardt, who originally wrote the song. If you're unfamiliar with Django, you really need to look him up.

I found this thread on Ukulele underground about the very song:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?6356-Minor-Swing-Django-Reinhardt

And this video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA7mMImnqlk

If you look closely you can write out the tabs/chords being played in that video.

Anyway, I hope that helps!

Robert asks…

help me find these ukulele chords? PLEASE?

G#dim7 and Bbdim7

i need to know how to play these chords for the song I'm learning (its one of my favourites, so this is love from cinderella)

oh and while i'm asking, do you think this is a good case (im getting the soprano version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80MxgYq_1sc

admin answers:

Here you go ~

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdVPE.asp?ppn=MN0077676

Laura asks…

is tenor guitar anything like ukulele to play?

I have never really got the hang of guitar that well, just basic chords and stuff, but i was wondering if tenor guitar is anything like ukulele to play? like are the chords the same or anything? because i have 3 ukulele's and i love playing them because i find it more natural and easier, so anything about tenor guitars will be appreciated, how big are they generally?

admin answers:

Tenor guitars generally have a scale length (bridge to nut) of just under 2 feet. The typical tuning is CGDA as opposed to the comment GCEA ukulele tuning, but you can in fact tune a tenor guitar to GCEA. Obviously the fingerings will not be identical but you may find some are similar to uke chord fingerings.

You can view some here: http://www.tenorguitar.com/basic.html

It is not the same as a ukulele but given your ability to play the uke you should have no problem picking up tenor guitar. Good luck!

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment