Sunday, January 8, 2012

Questions About How To Find Slope With One Point

Sandra asks…

how to find slope with one point?

I tried to find help with other answers but this is really confusing me.
I am given the standard equation 3x+5y=15
If I did my math correctly, x=5 and y=3
I'm stuck from there on finding the slope with the point (5,3).
if anyone could just walk my through how to do it, so that I can do it successfully in the future, that would be WONDERFUL!!
thank you bunches! :)
also it told me to draw the graph of each equation and name any intercepts. does that even mean it wants me to find the slope?
im sooo confused. it just says what's above and gives me the equation. should i draw what y equals as a horizontal line and what x equals as a vertical line? if not then how would I get any intercepts?!

admin answers:

Yes, x = 5, and y = 3.

Now try this

3x + 5y = 15

5y = -3x + 15

y = (-3/5)x + 3

That means the slope is -3/5, and the y intercept is 3.

Joseph asks…

How do I find three additional points that pass through a line with only the slope and one point?

I know the quick easy way to do it, graph it. I actually need to work it out though. I learned this like two years ago and I can't remember how to do it.

Use the point on the line and the slope of the line to fine three additional points through which the line passes.

Point: (3, -2) Slope: m=0

admin answers:

Y = mx + b
y = 0 + b
y = b
it is a line through -2
y = -2

Michael asks…

find an equation for the line given its slope and one point?

point (2,3); slope 4
point (-10,3); slope -2
point (-6,0); slope 1/3
find an equation for the line with slope -4 and x-intercept 7

please show me how to do these, not just give me the answer

admin answers:

I think the best way for you to figure these out will be to draw graphs.

On all of these you are given the slope, so you need to find the y-intercept for each. Don't really know how much you understand about this, but the equations are written y=mx+b. The slope takes the place of m and the y-intercept takes the place of b.

Draw a graph and start at the point given and then move towards when x=0, so you get the y-intercept.

1. Have your graph drawn and put a point at x=2, y=3. If you go to where x=1 you will move down four, so you are at the point x=1, y=-1. Then go on more to the left to where x=0 and you move down four more, so you get x=0, y=-5. So the equation is y=4x-5, or y=4x+(-5).

Do that with the other two and you're done. Remember that positive slopes go up from left to right and negative slopes go down from left to right. For the third slope you move up one for every three you move to the right. Equation for that one will be y=1/3x+2.

Hope this helps, it's kind of hard to explain without showing examples of graphs. Good luck though, you'll get it eventually.

Charles asks…

how do you find a slope with just one point?

what formula do you use?
the only given is (2,0)
I'm suppose to find a slope but don't know how...

admin answers:

Since x = 2 the slope is probably going to be undefined because it's a vertical line.

Blessings

Sharon asks…

How do you write an equation in point slope form and slope intercept form with one point such as (2,1)?

MY PROBLEM JUST GIVES ME ONE POINT TO FIND THE ANSWER, NORMALLY THEY GIVE TWO POINTS. HOW DO I FIGURE THIS OUT?

admin answers:

You can't define a line with just one point. Are you sure they did not give you some other information? If they give you a Y-intercept, remember that's just a second point. If they give you a slope, you can combine that with your point to make things work. It sounds like you're meant to take your point with one of those pieces of info, plug them into the appropriate form, then rearrange into the other form.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment