Saturday, January 21, 2012

Questions About How To Cook Butternut Squash Cubes

Mary asks…

How do I store cut up butternut squash?

I peeled and cubed a butternut squash. The recipe said to do this a day ahead of time. I have put the cubed pieces into a locknlock container. Do I store it in the fridge or on the counter. I will be cooking with it tomorrow.

admin answers:

To store the cut up squash.... Seal it in an airtight plastic bag or container and keep it in the refrigerator. It will keep for two to four days................

Maria asks…

How can I increase the amount of iron in this butternut squash risotto?

For my Food Tech, I have to create and cook a dish that's high in vitamin C and iron. This recipe has the Vitamin C part, but not the iron. How can I increase it?

Here's the recipe:

Butternut squash Risotto
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:
1tbsp olive oil
Small onion, chopped
Lemon zest
175g butternut squash, diced (cubes)
110g risotto rice
375ml vegetable stock
50g low fat cream cheese with garlic and herbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:
Low to medium heat
•Heat the olive oil in a large pan and cook the onions until softened (cook gently). Add the squash and rice and cook for a further 2 minutes.
•Gradually add the vegetable stock, a little at a time, and cook, stirring, until the rice has absorbed all the stock, the squash is tender and the risotto has a creamy texture. This should take about 20minutes. Season to taste and then stir in the cream cheese.
•Stir until the Boursin has melted and serve at once.

admin answers:

Unknown to many people, but pepitas, pumpkin seeds (out of the shell), are high in iron. And seeing as you are using squash for the main in this recipe the pepitas will not distract from the recipes harvest and sweet flavors. You can crush them and they will add a nutty texture and flavor to this recipe and the needed iron. I wouldn't use more than 1 cup, and I would reserve 1/4 of them whole for garnish on the top! It would be wise to use the toasted variety when you do. Good luck.

James asks…

What spices should i add to my butternut squash soup?

A few weeks back i made, for the first time, butternut squash soup..here is how i did it,( but think it could use more or different spice)....i put 1bx chicken broth in my pressure cooker plus...2 cubed butternut squash..3 large cubed sweet potatoes..3 chopped stalks celery, handful of baby carrots...1 large browned onion...then pressure cooked..20 min. placed cooked veges in a blender..added cream and butter..salt pepper touch of garlic..AND..nutmeg...any other spices work with or instead of...thanks and merry, you know!

admin answers:

I like to use a lot of ground black pepper and some salt to taste.

Mandy asks…

5 inch Pleco, Butternut Squash?

I've read my pleco will love butternut squash. So, now I have one, How do I prepare it? Cooked/Uncooked? I've heard you dont need to cook veg for plecs as they have the ability to deal with raw veg! Plus how much should I feed him (in inch cubes)?

Experienced L number keeper answerers only please!
Yes I mean Plecostomus. Specifically L265, From Tapjoja, Peckoltia sp.

admin answers:

YES!

They will love it! I feed mine cucumber and canned green beans all the time. Just cut it into a 1/2 inch thick piece and blanch it. Same with cucumbers.

Here is a page with info on how to blanch veggies:
http://www.ehow.com/how_13887_blanch-vegetables.html

Good luck!

EDIT-

I would feed them some fresh veggies every other day. It also helps to feed them at night because they are more active when it's dark.

Michael asks…

Starchy hands when cooking squash?

Ok two part question. I'm making roasted butternut squash soup. I just got done peeling and cubing the squash to roast and now my hands feel like they are covered in starch, it feels strange, like my hands are really dry. I've tried washing and scrubbing them, twice. I've even tried a little rubbing alcohol to get rid of the feeling.

Does any one know why this happens and how to get rid of the starch now covering my hands? I guess a third part might be how to prevent it but I'm guessing the only way is to wear gloves.

A little help would be appreciated, this feeling is annoying.
Tried the lotion. Thanks but didn't help. any more ideas?

admin answers:

A compound in squash actually causes dermatitis.
Wash your hands then rub some cortisone cream on them and it should help.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment