Saturday, January 14, 2012

Questions About How To Cook Rice Sticks

Nancy asks…

How to cook Bihon rice sticks (Filipino)?

A co-worker of mine kindly bought some rice sticks for me from a Filipino store, but I'm not sure how to cook them. The recipe on the bag says to soak and drain them, but I'm not sure how. I looked at a couple pancit recipes online, but none are very specific on how to do this... How long should they be soaked? How hot should the water be? Etc. Please be detailed!

admin answers:

Bihon rice stick is essentially a vermicelli if you're familiar with it. So you can put it in a broth (as soup), or stri fry them just like when you stir fry noodle. Btw, make sure that you drown them into a hot water bath first for 20 mins or so until it becomes soft if you plan to cook them any way other than boiling.

Lisa asks…

How to cook rice without getting the cooked rice sticking to the bottom?

admin answers:

That is difficult on some ranges. Add twice as much water as rice and bring to a boil. Cover and lower the flame as small as possible and steam for 18 minutes. The problem is that some ranges do not allow setting the flame small enough. I never had problems with my old range but with a new one that I now have I get the sticking. Try experimenting with a little more water if you can't lower the flame enough.

George asks…

How do I avoid rice from sticking on the pan?

I'm a newbie at cooking and for some reason every time I cook rice the bottom rice sticks all over the pan it's almost a waste so I want to know how to avoid that so it can cook soft.

admin answers:

You need more water, why dont you just buy a rice cooker so much more easier and faster.

Maria asks…

How do you cook rice in a pot?

So I'm trying to follow the recipe her's what it says
Add the butter to the saucepan and heat amount of water would be to add the rice, stick in the index finger on surface of rice and fill water up to the second joint of the index finger.

So am I to cook it in a rice cooker or...a sauce pan...I don't get it

admin answers:

This is my rice and how i do it...

Right in a sauce pot on stove top.

Instant rice..........

Fill your sauce pot 3/4 way fulll
bring to rolling boil
add 1/2 cup to 1 cup rice ( depending no how much you want, rice like pasta expands, even when it dont look like a lot it sometiems is)
bring rice now to a boil/about five minutes or so
test rice by taste
if done enough...drain rice from water...rinse with warm

from here you can add whatever you want. I drain it so its not all sticky stuck together from the water absrobing all the water like it actually tells you to do. This way to me is better..but everyone has their way.




Regular grain rice...

Fill pot 3/4 way full
bring to rolling boil
ad 1/2 cup to 1cup rice ( depending no how much you want, rice like pasta expands, even when it dont look like a lot it sometiems is)
bring this now to a boil..regular rice usualy takes longer about 20 minutes or so....
Test rice by taste
if done enough...drain rice from water...rinse with warm water

from here now you can add whatever you want to it, i do it this way here as well so its not sticky and pastey..

You can add veggies, salt,pepper,cheese, whatever you want now to your cooked rice..( either one instant or regular)

Hopes this helped you out some huni...

~et~

Sandy asks…

Can someone please tell me how to cook rice without it sticking the the saucepan and going all sticky?

admin answers:

I put a little salt in the water and a little olive oil. I use the amount of rice and water as directed. I cook it as directed ... Time wise. I bring the water to a boil add rice .... Lower the heat and then cover. I do nothing else until it is done. Always turns out great.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment