Monday, January 16, 2012

Questions About How To Install Laminate Flooring In Bathroom

Mandy asks…

How do I install a laminate floor over an existing tile floor in a bathroom?

I do not want to break up and remove the tiles. Do I need to glue a subfloor of thin wood to the tiles and then put the laminate on top of that subfloor?

admin answers:

I don't know that I would be putting a laminate floor in a bathroom. Laminate is not really a water friendly product in my opinion

George asks…

How much does laminate floor installtion cost?

I currently own my home. I would like to install laminate flooring, I found a great deal and got my whole house for .49 cents a sq/ft and the boxes are just sitting here. I need to know how much per sq/ft it will cost to install. My house minus the bathrooms and the kitchen is 1120 sq/ft. I live in NJ. Thank-You

admin answers:

Hi Ahmed!

Your best and most logical action to take would be to get free estimates from local flooring contractors in your area who could provide you information on the labor costs of such a lamination floor project.

To help you out, here is a handyman site that I've used, which has a section dedicated to flooring, where you'll find a text-link ad that offers up to four (4) Free Estimates from such local flooring contractors in your area (scroll down a bit and it's the text-link towards the middle of the page):

http://yourhandymanzone.com/Your_Handyman_Zone_How_To_Pages_Home_Improvement_Zone_Flooring.htm

Click on the "Find Flooring Contractors...Get Up to 4 Quotes Free" text link. Guessing on here is not as productive as getting a quote upon which you can rely; this is especially true, as the cost of labor greatly varies by location. Trust me, from general experience, you'll be glad that you got concrete, free estimates--get three at least and choose the best one from the three.

Paul asks…

Install laminate tiles over ceramic tiles?

We have a very rough looking tile floor in our bathroom, it's cracked in several places. We'd like to lay laminate tiles over the tile. 1) is this possible (we're not worried about taking it up to get to the tile) 2) how should we best prepare the ceramic tile to lay the laminate?

thank you!

admin answers:

That might not be such a good idea. First you have to consider the thickness of the tile then laminate? Would make the cabinetry seem short! It's best to prepare the floor for the product you want to use. If you prefer laminate to tile, you need to take up the tile. You wouldn't have a very professsional look if you put laninate on top. HAJ

James asks…

How difficult is it to install replacement windows doing it yourself?

I have no experience installing replacement windows and will be replacing 23 windows on a house we just purchased. Looking for some advice on (1) what windows to buy, and (2) how difficult it is to remove and install. I am fairly handy, remodeled a bathroom tearing everything down to the studs, installed a new door frame, laid new laminate flooring. I am not afraid to try this on my own, want to know if I would be getting in over my head.

admin answers:

If you've successfully remodeled a bathroom, you shouldn't have any trouble with windows.

There are two approaches to replacing windows -- make the window fit the opening, or make the opening fit the window. This is an important distinction when dealing with non-standard size window openings. I'm a good woodworker, and would be quite comfortable re-working the opening to fit a standard size window - but I prefer to make the windows fit the openings, even if it means spending a bit more on the windows.

A few things to remember when replacing windows -- get rid of any rotten wood while you're at it... Don't forget your insulation/caulk, and be sure to install them square, plumb, and level, hehe.

As to brands - Pella and Anderson windows are both excellent brands, and easy to find at most building supply stores.

For the insulation - I prefer to use batten fiberglass insulation to fill large cavities, followed up with DapTex insulating foam. DapTex does most of its expansion immediately - an important factor. It also cleans up with soap and water. Great Stuff is another popular brand of insulating foam - BUT - it can continue to expand up to an hour later - which means you can actually put your window frames in a bind... And as anyone who has ever gotten it into their clothes, or on their hands can tell you - its a royal pain to get out, lol.
Before installing the new window, I would add a wind barrier around the opening, to at least a foot beyond (simply a layer of plastic).

I like to 'dry-fit' my windows, before caulking, just to make sure there will be no problem getting it in - takes a little extra time, but can save a big mess if there happens to be any problem, hehehe.

It takes me about an hour to replace a standard window, start to finish, but I've had a lot of practice, and have all the necessary tools.

By the way - if you choose vinyl windows, do NOT use an oil base lubricant on them (even most 'silicone' lubricants are oil base). The oil will 'attack' the vinyl, causing it to become brittle, and prematurely age. Vinyl window manufacturers recommend that a wax product be used to lubricate the windows. Johnson's furniture WAX (not 'polish') works very well, as does the Gulf brand wax 'cakes' (found anywhere canning supplies are sold, and at hobby stores).

After installation, you may find it necessary to adjust the spring mechanism in the windows. Some brands make a special tool to make it easy to do this... If the brand you choose, has such a tool, go ahead and buy it, you'll appreciate it later, hehe.

Good Luck

William asks…

How to install a new bathroom floor?

I'd like to replace the old linolium flooring in my cottage bathroom up north. It's got some peeling and cracks so it's very old. I'd like to use either sheet vinyl (wood imitation) or laminate (wood imitation). Not sure which would be more water resistant or better for a bathroom. I know some sheet vinyls are water proof even.
What do I need to do with the old linolium flooring to prepare it for laying a new floor over top?
This is a small bathroom, maybe 3 to 4 feet wide and 8 or so feet long. There is a tub and toilet, no issue with a sink in the way.

admin answers:

I lay floor for a living and carpet and wood flooring is a NO... And the laminite will bow as soon as it gets wet ... Tile or linolium is what to use... As far as prep on the floor is almost non existant just sweep and the floor so that there are no particles that get in your glue if you are skeptic that, that is not enough you can mop it but laying right over the old flor is all you need to do .. Pull the toilet so you can cut the hole ..... When pulling the toilet you will need a new wax ring to replace the toilet also turn off water and flush making sure there is as little water left to move toilet then place toilet in tub while you replace floor

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment