Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Questions About How To Divide Fractions Into Decimals

Charles asks…

How to convert fractions into decimals?

Um I have google searched how to convert fractions into decimals and i only see 1 type of response: Divide the denominator by the numerator
but how can you do that if it has remainders? Here are 3 of my fractions that need to be converted into decimals:
7/50
13/25
17/25
Thank you!! ^^

admin answers:

You still divide numerator by denominator

it may terminate and you are done

it may repeat and you can indicate that it repeats by placing a line over the portion that repeats (or you may be told to round your answer to hundredths, thousandths, etc.

It may never repeat and you will have to round your answer.

All of your problems will terminate in the hundredths decimal place.

Hope this helps.

Nancy asks…

How to convert decimals to fractions in java?

I'm working on a program to convert Egyptian fractions into normal fractions but I've hit a road block. I have the fractions broken down into decimals but the problem now is how to get them back into fractions. the most concerning decimal that I'm working with and need the most assistance divides out into 1.5935374149659864 and starts off as 937/588.
Any and all advice will help loads
THANKS IN ADVANCED!!!
:)

admin answers:

Public class Fractions {

public static void main(String args[]) {

double decimal;
double originalDecimal;
int LIMIT = 12;
int denominators[] = new int[LIMIT + 1];
int numerator, denominator, temp;
int MAX_GOODNESS = 100;

// Get a number to be converted to a fraction
if (args.length == 1) {
decimal = Double.valueOf(args[0]).doubleValue();
} else {
// No number was given, so just use pi
assert args.length == 0;
decimal = Math.PI;
}
originalDecimal = decimal;

// Display the header information
System.out.println("-------------------------------------------------------");
System.out.println("Input decimal number to be converted: " + decimal);
System.out.println();

// Compute all the denominators
System.out.println("All computed denominators:");
int i = 0;
while (i < LIMIT + 1) {
denominators[i] = (int)decimal;
System.out.print(denominators[i] + " ");
decimal = 1.0 / (decimal - denominators[i]);
i = i + 1;
}
System.out.println();
System.out.println();

// Compute the i-th approximation
int last = 0;
while (last < LIMIT) {

// Print out the denominators used in this computation
System.out.print("Using these " + (last + 1) + " denominators: ");
for (int j = 0; j <= last; j++) {
System.out.print(denominators[j] + " ");
}
System.out.println();

// Initialize variables used in computation
numerator = 1;
denominator = 1;
temp = 0;

// Do the computation
int current = last;
while (current >= 0) {
denominator = numerator;
numerator = (numerator * denominators[current]) + temp;
temp = denominator;
current = current - 1;
}
last = last + 1;

// Display results
double value = (double)numerator/denominator;
int goodness = denominators[last];
double error = 100 * Math.abs(value - originalDecimal) / originalDecimal;

System.out.print("fraction = " + (int)numerator + "/" +
(int)denominator);
System.out.print(", value = " + value);
System.out.print(", goodness = " + goodness);
System.out.println(", error = " + (int)error + "%");
System.out.println();

// Exit early if we have reached our goodness criterion
if (Math.abs(goodness) > MAX_GOODNESS) break;
}
}
}

Here's the code, in case some part of the code gets truncated.http://pastebin.com/f6f7d65a4

Hope this helps. If it does, please select my answer as the best one!! Happy programming :)

John asks…

how to convert fractions into decimals?

I know you divide the numinator by the denominator but is there any other ways where you have to work them out?

thanks

admin answers:

Nope. Just divide the top of the fraction by the bottom, and read off the answer !
Example: What is 5/8 as a fraction?
... Get your calculator and type in "5 / 8 =", the answer should be 0.625

or

Step 1: Find a number you can multiply by the bottom of the fraction to make it 10, or 100, or 1000, or any 1 followed by 0s.
Step 2: Multiply both top and bottom by that number.
Step 3. Then write down just the top number, putting the decimal place in the correct spot (one space from the right for every zero in the bottom number)

Maria asks…

Decimals into Fractions?

Hi, I'm learning to turn decimals into fractions or fractions into decimals. I'm a little confused by it, I understand that the denominator has to be from 10-100 or more provided if that it needs more 0's. Anyways, what I'm confused about is the dividing part. On calculator the answer will always be correct, but dividing in my head the answer isn't the same but it's also correct.

(5 divided by 8)
5/8 = 1 with remainder of 3
(Would the decimal be written as .13 or 1.3?)

How-ever the online course I'm taking is wanting the answers to be the same as what would be the answers for if you did them by calculator. And what I'm getting on calculator is completely a different answer, I can't understand this at all.

If the human brain is supposed to be a better computer than a computer then why does the calculator have to say something different when the same equations are done both the same on paper and calculator but the answers on paper is different from the calculators answers.

The online lessons I'm taking it's as if it's assuming that I already know how to do the problem, when nobody nor the lessons I'm taking ever taught me the steps. So the lessons are asking questions like (5 over 8 = ? over ? times ? over ? = ? over ?)
That's where I'm having the problems, I can't seem to get it right I don't get the next step at all, and from what I read from looking up how to do these types of problems they just make it more complex and complicated than it needs to be. It's irritating. I'll try and show you what I mean. (When I put "/" put it in the place of where I said a number or question mark and make the first number the numerator and the second number the denominator with the "/" symbol to show that it is a fraction.)

5/8 = 5/8 x ?/? = ?/?

That's as far as I can get in my head, I can't tell from that far into it if it want's me to make the denominator into a tenths or hundredths or thousandths number. And I can't figure out what the numerator is supposed to be because I can't understand how to find the denominator.

Can somebody please help? It would be much appreciated.
____________________________

5/8 is not 1 with a remainder of three that is 8/5
When the top number is smaller than the bottom number, your answer will be less than one
When the top number is larger than the bottom number, your answer will be greater than one.

5/8 = .625
8/5 = 1.375
____________________________

Ok, that's not making any sense, I need that explained to me.

This part
5/8 = .625
8/5 = 1.375

You did that using a calculator, I need to learn the steps into how to do that in my head.
5/8 = 5/8 x(times) the new numerator over the new denominator equals the answer to the numerator and denominator.

And then after that I have to write the decimal, which will be whatever the numerator is. I can't do that if I do not know the process that's being done on calculator where the answer the calculator does is different from what's done on paper.

five divided by eight. Do that on paper, you'll see that the answer is one with the remainder of three. But when the calculator does

admin answers:

You have to make the number below the line (denominator) = 100 and whatever you did to it to make it equal 100 do it to the number above the line
5/8....... What do you multiply 8 by to make it 100? 12.5 (divide 100 by 8) now multiply above and below by 12.5
5 x 12.5/8 x 12.5
62.5/100 = 0.625

pick a simple example 1/4 what do i multiply 4 by to make it 100? 25
multiply above and below by 25 = 25/100 = 0.25

hope that helps a bit

Jenny asks…

Making decimals into fractions using calculator?

On a scientific calculator, how do you make decimals into fractions? I mean I know these like, .45= 45/100 = 9/20. But today in class my teacher told us that there is a button you press to get the fraction, I couldn't find it, and then I forgot to ask her... Anyway, I'm doing the test review now and I keep getting .249023437, I looked up the answer and it says 255/1024, OK when you divide it, it is correct, but I've tried everything and i can't get this fraction!! plz help!

admin answers:

In scientific calculators there is a button F<>D, this button change the number from Fraction to Decimal or from Decimal to Fraction, You may need to press the 2nd button to active it.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment